Drive not detected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris230291

Patron
Hello. Today I did a fresh install of 9.3 on a new drive (replacing an older version) as my old boot drive was giving me problems. The install went fine and I was able to upload my config and import my main storage pool without any issues. However my jails drive does not get detected by the "import volume" feature. I can see an 80 GB disk under "view disks" but not under import volume. Can anyone help me get this working again please?

1.PNG

Thanks,
Chris.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Did you reconfigure the dataset holding the jails in Jails -> Configuration? That should fix it.

Chris230291

Patron
Hello. If I look in there it is already set to "/mnt/Jails". But that doesn't actually exist if I try to change it in the drop down. I guess that carried over when I uploaded my config.
Is it possible that the data has gone? I have not formatted the drive and no disks were connected during the install other than my new boot disk.

Thanks,
Chris.

rogerh

Guru
What filing system was the 80GB 'jails' disk formatted with? ZFS, UFS or something else? If it was UFS it won't work in 9.3.

rogerh

Guru
Boot with the old USB stick, and see if it is mounted. Where you go from there I don't know as I have never used UFS but you could try zpool status and whatever filesystem tools there are for UFS and see what shows up.

Chris230291

Patron
There is no old USB stick anymore.
Can I Just put the drive in a USB enclosure, copy all of the files onto my PC and then transfer them back after formatting the disk in FreeNAS?

rogerh

Guru
If this is the disk that was holding your jails in the previous version of Freenas, no you can't. You could download an old (pre-9.3) version of Freenas and boot in either your current freenas machine or another and see if you can import/read the data on the disk. If it is UFS then there are other operating systems (such as another version of FreeBSD?) that might be able to read it. But an average PC probably can't. I presume it is not encrypted?

Chris230291

Patron
OK thanks.
No it is not encrypted. I'm installing 9.2 in a virtual machine now to see if I can read it. I figured I can then FTP into the VM and dump all of the files into a folder on my PC. Assuming I obtain all of the files for each of my jails, will simply pasting them back onto a freshly formatted drive (in 9.3) work?

Thanks,
Chris.

rogerh

Guru
No idea about jails - sorry. I do suspect there is some updating needed, at the very least.

Chris230291

Patron
Ok so 9.2 nor UFS Explorer for Windows could read the disk. I guess it got corrupted somehow. I have just gone ahead and formatted it, it's a pain but I just want my Jails up and running again.

Thanks for the input anyways.
Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.