Curious UPS Console messages on 11.2-U2.1

I have a couple of older HP MicroServer Gen 7 (N54L) that I use primarily as replication targets. They are both connected to a single UPS. Under FreeNAS 9.10, I could never get either server to work as UPS master. Neither would hold a connection with the UPS port that connected the UPS to the server via a USB cable. It didn't matter which USB port I used on the server, the result was the same. Strange, as I did not have an issue with a Gen 8 server and the same UPS. I put this down to a NUT hardware compatibility issue and beyond the scope of FreeNAS and pursued it no further. Anyway, as UPS slaves, they were fine. However, this arrangement was not ideal as they were monitoring a remote host that was connected to a different UPS and not the UPS they were on.

Rolling on, I decided to retry the master/slave arrangement between the two Gen 7's under FreeNAS 11.2-U2.1 and the UPS they shared and, lo and behold, the arrangement has now burst into life. The Gen 7 that is UPS master is now holding a connection with the UPS port. The Gen 7 that is UPS slave is also doing its thing. Upsmon orchestrates the correct actions on both GEN 7 machines when switching the UPS to battery mode.

While I'm thrilled that I have a working and much more robust battery backup arrangement for the GEN 7's, what's curious are the console messages I'm seeing on both machines. In the screenshots below, I've highlighted what appears to be erroneous output.

On the master...
screenshot.139a.png

On the slave...
screenshot.138a.png

My question is 'Should I raise a bug report to address this?'. Everything is working as it should for me. This is a minor aberration in the scheme of things. On the other hand, the messages are potentially misleading for someone else trying to debug a UPS issue.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

How often do the messages appear (eg are they flooding the logs or occasional)?

Just occasional it appears. Recent log output shows a spattering of 'undefined' text.

screenshot.159.png