Serial UPS setup Riello DLPR 220

Status
Not open for further replies.

fizzgig656

Contributor
Hi all, sorry to ask what must be a simple question, i'm trying to setup a Riello DLPR 220 UPS with my freenas box but struggling. I managed to setup another box via USB to another UPS but i cant seem to find the right port / driver for this one. current setup is /dev/cuau0 using riello_ser. i don't get a connection. any advice please? How can i verify the port? has only one else setup one of these UPS. I assume i should i be able to still setup a master and slave for this? Once i setup the master!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I don't think I've ever heard of that brand. That is generally a very bad sign.

Is it on NUT's compatibility list? Or maybe a similar model?

fizzgig656

Contributor
Hi, yes is on their list, they list a selection of serial and USB ones, but not quiet the same model. can i check what port i should be using, can i run
dmesg | grep -i dev to show serial ports? what should i run if not to check if its detecting anything on the serial port, I think thats the first place to start.

thanks

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
Hmmmmm. I got interested in this thread because I know of an Italian Riello company in my field (combustion) but did not know about a UPS connection (it's not the same company).

But then I poked some more on your UPS issue - I looked at the NUT documents and the 3 Riello-supplied documents that NUT has in its database - one of which is Riello's list of model numbers that their NUT drivers support. Your model is not on it. It also isn't on NUT's compatibility list (as you indicate).

I looked at the Riello manual for your UPS and also what I believe is the manual for the Riello UPS management software for your UPS - a bit difficult to confirm the precise version required as the UPS manual version was not dated but that for the software was. Neither of these gave me any confidence that your UPS could be NUT-compatible when the apparent signal outputs and input requirements were compared with the functions evident from reading the two NUT-driver protocol descriptive documents provided by Riello to NUT.

But there are FreeBSD and Windows versions of the dedicated Riello management software for your UPS according to the the software manual I looked at, and the software is apparently available for download on their site. Perhaps a solution for you to investigate is running the FreeBSD version on your FreeNAS box if it's an executable (seems to be I think) or maybe running the Windows version in a VM?

fizzgig656

Contributor
Hmmmmm. I got interested in this thread because I know of an Italian Riello company in my field (combustion) but did not know about a UPS connection (it's not the same company).

But then I poked some more on your UPS issue - I looked at the NUT documents and the 3 Riello-supplied documents that NUT has in its database - one of which is Riello's list of model numbers that their NUT drivers support. Your model is not on it. It also isn't on NUT's compatibility list (as you indicate).

I looked at the Riello manual for your UPS and also what I believe is the manual for the Riello UPS management software for your UPS - a bit difficult to confirm the precise version required as the UPS manual version was not dated but that for the software was. Neither of these gave me any confidence that your UPS could be NUT-compatible when the apparent signal outputs and input requirements were compared with the functions evident from reading the two NUT-driver protocol descriptive documents provided by Riello to NUT.

But there are FreeBSD and Windows versions of the dedicated Riello management software for your UPS according to the the software manual I looked at, and the software is apparently available for download on their site. Perhaps a solution for you to investigate is running the FreeBSD version on your FreeNAS box if it's an executable (seems to be I think) or maybe running the Windows version in a VM?

ok, basically what i was thinking but with some proper weight and understanding behind it. Good to ready and thanks for the fully reply. I shall try a few things and if i get any luck/progress ill reply more.

Status
Not open for further replies.