Copying from NAS to USB in Windows is very slow. any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrNick5

Cadet
Hey folks,

I have Freenas running on an HP Microserver with 8GB ECC RAM using 3 x 3TB WD RED drives in a Raid Z1. its hooked via cat 6 directly into my Asus router.

My main computer is a new Windows 7 Desktop, i5 Haswell CPU, 8GB of RAM with a 256GB SSD. This is also hardwired over cat 6 directly into the router. I have Freenas 8.2 p1 x64. The volume is set up as mapped drive over a CIFS share. When I copy something from the NAS directly to a USB flash drive plugged into my computer, it is incredibly slow (like 1.5MB/s). I have a USB 3.0 flash drive and have tried it in both the USB 2 and 3 ports. its very slow in either. If I copy the file directly to my computer first, and then to the flash drive, its done very quickly. (about 40-50MB/s)

I tested the same thing on my laptop, which obviously copies slower due to it being wireless, but its significantly quicker to copy directly to the laptop, and then copy to the flash drive.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Try different protocols. See if there's a significant difference between sftp and CIFS. Copying over network to USB can be annoying even on a good network (real switch not a home router)

Status
Not open for further replies.