Copying files from USB HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blongpop

Cadet
Ok so Im new to FreeNAS and I am wondering how to copy files from my External USB Drives to my Shared NAS Volumes and if it is possible via the Web GUI

I am using the latest version x64 off the website.

The only thing Ive been able to do is plug my HDD into my windows drive and copy it over to the NAS volume via network which is very slow.

Tried to import volume and I get An error occurred while labeling the disk.

Is there any way to set up auto detect USB Drives?

ProtoSD

MVP
You didn't mention how your external drives were formatted. I think *single* partition NTFS should be working now, but not so with FAT/FAT32, or ext2.

USB is definitely going to be slow for large drives, whether connected to another PC or your NAS. You're better removing them from the external case and plugging them in directly to your disk controller.

There's no auto-detect from the GUI or from the command line at this point. You can always put it in the feature request section of the forums.

Blongpop

Cadet
lol oh my bad yea, its a NTFS single partitioned drive, when I hook it up to the server it shows up in the GUI when i go to import volume but it has a labeling error.

So even if I do get it too hook up there inst going to be much difference between physical usb transfer and network transfer thru another pc?

ProtoSD

MVP
lol oh my bad yea, its a NTFS single partitioned drive, when I hook it up to the server it shows up in the GUI when i go to import volume but it has a labeling error.

Can you verify that you are using version 8.03 or 8.03-p1?

Can you run a chkdsk /f or chkdsk /r (longer/5 stage) on the disk with your PC and then make sure you do a safe removal using the USB icon in the tray on Windows before you connect it to FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.