SOLVED Copying 1GB Files From NAS to Windows Causes Network Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baptiste

Explorer
Something like that. With FreeBSD and Linux, there's certain hardware you're likely to find in the data center, and the newest stuff usually is a bad choice because usefully meaningful support in the form of stable drivers in a released version of the OS aren't available for ~6-12 months. There are people who will plow their way through the quagmire and try to use it anyways, but it's for the masochistic.

With Windows, no one wants to go and write new Windows 10 drivers for their old gear. Not even Intel.

So is there a database out there of supported NICs (and possibly other hardware?) on the FreeNAS platform?

If so that would be awesome and very helpful.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So is there a database out there of supported NICs (and possibly other hardware?) on the FreeNAS platform?

If so that would be awesome and very helpful.

Yes, look for the recommended hardware sticky and other related stickies to find the things that work very well. Be aware that "supported" and "this is known to work very well" are two different things; Realtek ethernets are supported but they suck. You do not want "supported" hardware. You want "this is known to work very well" hardware.

Baptiste

Explorer
Yes, look for the recommended hardware sticky and other related stickies to find the things that work very well. Be aware that "supported" and "this is known to work very well" are two different things; Realtek ethernets are supported but they suck. You do not want "supported" hardware. You want "this is known to work very well" hardware.

I assume you mean this massive post:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hardware-recommendations-read-this-first.23069/
Seems like a good place to start. Wish there was a just large database were I could type a RAM, or CPU name and see it's 'known to work well' or something.

Also found this post about ZFS which will make a good read since I only barely understand ZFS:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/zfs-primer.38927/
EDIT: That was actually really helpful.

I also found your massive post here about 10gbs:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/10-gig-networking-primer.25749/
That too was really helpful.

BTW, were you able to take a look at my fairly large post before and take any jabs at it?

Last edited:

Baptiste

Explorer
This is the image referring to the random drop in speed I got last night.
I think I had started with 10 X 1GB files, and the more it transferred the slower it got. Any reason?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    11.4 KB · Views: 268

Baptiste

Explorer
So after running Blackmagic Speed test extensively it seems the connection is now stable?!?!?!
I tried going into my BIOS and looking for that NIC setting but I could not find it like before. I'll call Asus tomorrow about it and ask wtf that was about.

Now I've just moved 350GB off my SSD to the NAS, and seeing I had all these network issues I'm a little worried. What if I format SSD and suddenly NAS decides to act up again and I can't connect? Or something.
Thoughts, ideas?

Nick2253

Wizard
Now I've just moved 350GB off my SSD to the NAS, and seeing I had all these network issues I'm a little worried. What if I format SSD and suddenly NAS decides to act up again and I can't connect? Or something.
Thoughts, ideas?

Isn't that the whole point of backups? Stuff breaks, and then you recover with your backups.

Baptiste

Explorer
Isn't that the whole point of backups? Stuff breaks, and then you recover with your backups.

Yes you are right, which is why every project I finish I put on a mirrored set of HDDs, and stick them in a anti static foam, which I then put in a dust, water proof box as an archive.
But the stuff on the NAS only exists on the NAS. I know technically it's a sort of back up if a drive breaks, but not if the damn thing explodes. The NAS stores the current projects I am working on.

Nick2253

Wizard
I know technically it's a sort of back up if a drive breaks, but not if the damn thing explodes. The NAS stores the current projects I am working on.

You'll have to clarify your language here. What I'm seeing is that you're using FreeNAS for backup, but you don't have confidence in FreeNAS to act in that capacity. If you don't have confidence in your backup solution, then it's not a very good backup solution.

I have confidence in FreeNAS because every which way I've poked and prodded it, it continues to work. But I don't trust it completely (it, for example, is not waterproof), which is why I also use a highly available, off-site backup.

If you don't have confidence in FreeNAS, then I'd say that FreeNAS is not the right product for your use case.

Baptiste

Explorer
You'll have to clarify your language here. What I'm seeing is that you're using FreeNAS for backup, but you don't have confidence in FreeNAS to act in that capacity. If you don't have confidence in your backup solution, then it's not a very good backup solution.

I have confidence in FreeNAS because every which way I've poked and prodded it, it continues to work. But I don't trust it completely (it, for example, is not waterproof), which is why I also use a highly available, off-site backup.

If you don't have confidence in FreeNAS, then I'd say that FreeNAS is not the right product for your use case.

Sorry let me clarify , it's not that I don't have confidence in FreeNAS. I just don't have confidence in MY FreeNAS due to the weird issues I was having that magically went away with a BIOS setting that I can't even access anymore. It's very... sketch.

EDIT: I am still investigating the BIOS setting and will most likely contact Asus about it today.

Baptiste

Explorer
So I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with Asus, they had literally 0 idea what I was talking about.

But the stuff on the NAS only exists on the NAS. I know technically it's a sort of back up if a drive breaks, but not if the damn thing explodes. The NAS stores the current projects I am working on.
If your current projects are important to you, then you need to back that data up, and you need a protocol to regularly refresh those backups. If the current projects are not important enough to backup, then you've already decided you can accept losing that data, so stop worrying about it.

Baptiste

Explorer
If your current projects are important to you, then you need to back that data up, and you need a protocol to regularly refresh those backups. If the current projects are not important enough to backup, then you've already decided you can accept losing that data, so stop worrying about it.
I have a spare 5TB drive laying around, I was thinking of connecting to it FreeNAS (thought if I understand FreeNAS doesn't take USB 3 but it does take eSATA) and doing a Rsync to that drive nightly.

maglin

Patron
The actual FreeNAS has been working fine. You where having issues with your PC. Or is this BIOS setting you speak of on the NAS? I'm confused now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baptiste

Explorer
+
The actual FreeNAS has been working fine. You where having issues with your PC. Or is this BIOS setting you speak of on the NAS? I'm confused now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The BIOS setting was on the client, Windows 10 desktop.

Baptiste

Explorer
SOLUTION:

Ok so since I can't seem to find that option in the BIOS anymore this is the solution I offer to anyone else having this issue:
  • Reset both BIOS settings for Server (FreeNAS) and Client (Windows 7/10 machines).
  • Make sure your NIC drivers are up to date. Maybe even uninstall and reinstall them.
  • Run DBAN on the HDDs you are going to use for the RAID array so they are fully wiped and clean. DBAN will also alert you of drive issues if any of your HDDs have issues.
  • I won't go into how to use DBAN as they are many great videos (also it's super simple), but for our needs doing the "Quick Format" option is more then enough
  • While DBAN is running on the NAS, on your Windows machine press "Windows + x". A menu should pop up, see Pic #1.
  • Click on "Command Prompt"
  • Click "Windows + x" again and click on "Disk Management"
  • In Disk Management locate the USB device you want to install FreeNAS too and the USB you want to use as the installer for FreeNAS. Take a note of the Disk number. DO NOT MESS THIS PART UP.
  • Go to the Command Prompt
  • Type in diskpart
    • Click yes on the pop up asking for permission, a new window should pop up, the typing will be in the new window from now on
  • Type "list disk" and make sure your USB device shows up
  • Type "select disk x", x being the disk number of the USB. Do one USB at a time. A dialog should output saying "Disk X is now the selected disk"
  • NOW MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT DISK SELECTED AS THIS NEXT STEP WILL COMPLETELY WIPE THE DATA OFF
  • Type "clean"
  • If you go back to Disk Management your USB should now be a black empty space.
  • Doing all this is very helpful if you ever formatted your USB on a Mac OS or Ubuntu where Windows can not delete HFS partitions and such.
  • Do this to both the USB you are installing the FreeNAS installer and to the USB you are actually installing FreeNAS too.
  • Now install FreeNAS on the cleaned USBs.
  • While DBAN is still running or FreeNAS is installing do "windows + x" again.
  • Go to "Device Manager"
  • Expand "Network Adapters"
  • If you haven't updated it yet, do that now.
  • Right click your NIC and click properties
  • At the top, click "Link Speed"
    • The settings here are very similar to what I found in my BIOS before and couldn't later.
  • Where it says "Speed and Duplex" it might say something like "Auto Negotiation"
  • Click that and select "1.0gbs Full Duplex" (your option might say 1000mbs Full Duplex"
  • Restart computer to make sure it fully took effect
  • You should now no longer have the weird issues I was getting were the NIC would crashing going 1gbs between the Server and Client.
I hope this helps and that this guide is at least semi clear. I have marked this forum SOLVED but if you have questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

• Pic 1.png
    Pic 1.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 280

Baptiste

Explorer
BTW:

I never properly thank every in this forum who commented on my post.
Thank you all very very much. I really appreciated the help!

maglin

Patron
  • Go to "Device Manager"
  • Expand "Network Adapters"
  • If you haven't updated it yet, do that now.
  • Right click your NIC and click properties
  • At the top, click "Link Speed"
    • The settings here are very similar to what I found in my BIOS before and couldn't later.
  • Where it says "Speed and Duplex" it might say something like "Auto Negotiation"
  • Click that and select "1.0gbs Full Duplex" (your option might say 1000mbs Full Duplex"
This is bad practice. Setting the link speed can lead to troubles down the road like when a network cable connection starts to go bad and can't operate at the 1G level and needs to drop to 100mb. I'm glad it's resolved but I believe their is still an issue with your hardware on your windows computer.

Baptiste

Explorer
This is bad practice. Setting the link speed can lead to troubles down the road like when a network cable connection starts to go bad and can't operate at the 1G level and needs to drop to 100mb. I'm glad it's resolved but I believe their is still an issue with your hardware on your windows computer.

I think for now I am at the whim of the 'Windows Update Gods', which could be months, so for now this solution worked for me. But yes I understand your concerns, thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.