SOLVED Copying 1GB Files From NAS to Windows Causes Network Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baptiste

Explorer
Update on Mac test.

Did these tests for the last 5 minutes.
Did several 1GB sized files reads and writes, no issue. Ran Blackmagic Speed test, no issue. Did reads/writes of the 1GB files while running Blackmagic Speed Test at the same time, no issue.

Now, to try to get this bloody thing working on Windows!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Reset OC back to 4.5GHz.

Overclocking is fine for your gaming, but if you want your data to be stored safely and securely, this is like constantly running your engine at max rev. Sooner or later it's going to ruin you, especially since you're already using a hazardous platform for your NAS.

Baptiste

Explorer
Overclocking is fine for your gaming, but if you want your data to be stored safely and securely, this is like constantly running your engine at max rev. Sooner or later it's going to ruin you, especially since you're already using a hazardous platform for your NAS.

The Desktop is overclocked, not the NAS so I'm not to worried about it. Plus it's set to adaptive for the voltage so it's not consistently a million degrees (plus water cooler is a god send). Also CPU is set to run at lower clock speed when not doing intense things, as I type this it's jumping between 1.8 and 2 GHZ.

"you're already using a hazardous platform for your NAS" Can you elaborate on this?

Baptiste

Explorer
Also, I tried Autotune on the NAS. Did not help at all, removed it and the tunables it created.

P.S. Going to Microcenter tomorrow to see if Intel NIC will help. But for tonight I will keep trying software things if people want to jump in and offer solutions.

Baptiste

Explorer
Just went through every setting in the WebGUI to see if I had flicked on some weird setting. Nothing, no change, still same issue.

Will try looking at Windows settings but no idea where to start really seeing as how Reads only is the issue and no Writes.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
That's almost like begging me to do something about that.
If a human deemed me worthy of the title, I'm proud of the confidence someone has shown. If I reached some post
count plateau to gain it, it's value is, in my mind, somewhat reduced. To be honest, I've often wondered how some
members have those unusual monikers under their avatars, now I see who's responsible lol.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If a human deemed me worthy of the title, I'm proud of the confidence someone has shown.

Wish granted. :tongue:

If I reached some post count plateau to gain it, it's value is, in my mind, somewhat reduced.

The user title ladder is actually currently driven off of the trophy points:

4 => "Newbie"
9 => "FreeNAS Aware"
19 => "NAS-ty with the FreeNAS"
29 => "FreeNAS Guru"
99 => "Loudmouth"

So it's kind of a combination of posts and likes that drive it.

To be honest, I've often wondered how some members have those unusual monikers under their avatars, now I see who's responsible lol.

Well, my theory is that there aren't really many rewards for participating in these forums. A different title for the high volume contributors who graciously spend so much of their time considering the various problems and issues that new users have is a very modest benefit, but one that's easily provided.

maglin

Patron
Baptiste you have been given the answer and even acknowledged it. Get an Intel NIC in the NAS and then report back. The amount of time you have already put into this issue would have paid for all your 10G gear.

I would stop messing with NIC setting. Chances are you'll create issues that will mask the fix of putting a good NIC in the NAS. Also look at it this way. It's a Network Attached Storage device so having a good network interface card is kind of key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baptiste

Explorer
Baptiste you have been given the answer and even acknowledged it. Get an Intel NIC in the NAS and then report back. The amount of time you have already put into this issue would have paid for all your 10G gear.

I would stop messing with NIC setting. Chances are you'll create issues that will mask the fix of putting a good NIC in the NAS. Also look at it this way. It's a Network Attached Storage device so having a good network interface card is kind of key.

Hey Maglin, I acknowledge the fact that it could be solved by buying a Intel NIC, just haven't been able to. Went to Best Buy yesterday and they looked like I was nuts when I asked if they sold Network Interface Cards, they looked even more worried when I had to explain to them WTF a PCI card was... I might has well have been speaking in straight binary to them...
01000100 01101111 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01010011 01100101 01101100 01101100 00100000 01001110 01001001 01000011 01110011 00111111

I'm off to Microcenter and hopefully they will have a ~$30 Intel NIC I can pick up and through in there. I might also do a fresh reinstall of FreeNAS if that doesn't work seeing as how my Raid has no data on it at the moment.
Will report back when I get new NIC.

maglin

Patron
Was just pointing out the obvious. Not being rude if it came off that way. eBay is your friend here. Craigslist works sometimes in a pinch. Best Buy sucks as most of their "geek squad" are barely over the age of 21 and have no clue when it comes to most hardware things. I'm sure they also have knowledgeable folks as well but they are in the back doing actual work while the others "help" customers at the counter.

You can also check local computer repair places as they usually have a ton of old hardware in the back collecting dust.

Baptiste

Explorer
Was just pointing out the obvious. Not being rude if it came off that way. eBay is your friend here. Craigslist works sometimes in a pinch. Best Buy sucks as most of their "geek squad" are barely over the age of 21 and have no clue when it comes to most hardware things. I'm sure they also have knowledgeable folks as well but they are in the back doing actual work while the others "help" customers at the counter.

You can also check local computer repair places as they usually have a ton of old hardware in the back collecting dust.

Hey Maglin, you didn't come off as rude, sorry if I did.

Went to Microcenter, got a Intel 1gb NIC, connecting it now and will report with results.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Went to Microcenter, got a Intel 1gb NIC, connecting it now and will report with results.
So which model number did you end up buying?

Baptiste

Explorer

Baptiste

Explorer
Reset settings, imported volume, gave Intel NIC IP and connected to it.
Started the 1GB file transfer on the 1gb direct attach test, and..... FAILED.

Intel NIC did not change anything.
I repeat, we do not have lift off.

ttabbal

Dabbler
Sounds like the only thing you haven't done is change the client software. The Intel NIC is a good upgrade to have in any case.

Try booting a live Linux distribution like Ubuntu's installer. Just select "Try Ubuntu" when it asks and you won't touch the windows install. Then try transferring files with that to a ramdrive or usb stick, etc.. Sadly, Windows networking stack is a pain. People who try 10gb often have issues, boot a linux/bsd/etc and get double the speed over the network with zero tuning.

Thinking of tuning.. You haven't done any jumbo frames or other oddball stuff to the network have you?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I've gone back and re-read this whole thread. At this point, I'm going to recommend
you use MemTest86 and hammer a while on the RAM in the FreeNAS box. This is
something that will cost nothing more than time. This idea was spawned by this quote.
Again, from my testing it seems that writing to the NAS from Windows is fine, it's the reading where it crashes.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Reset settings, imported volume, gave Intel NIC IP and connected to it.
Started the 1GB file transfer on the 1gb direct attach test, and..... FAILED.

Intel NIC did not change anything.
I repeat, we do not have lift off.

So I'm curious, your system passed burn-in testing with flying colors but is crashing under load with FreeNAS?

Or did you not do any burn-in testing?

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/building-burn-in-and-testing-your-freenas-system.17750/

Baptiste

Explorer
Sounds like the only thing you haven't done is change the client software. The Intel NIC is a good upgrade to have in any case.

Try booting a live Linux distribution like Ubuntu's installer. Just select "Try Ubuntu" when it asks and you won't touch the windows install. Then try transferring files with that to a ramdrive or usb stick, etc.. Sadly, Windows networking stack is a pain. People who try 10gb often have issues, boot a linux/bsd/etc and get double the speed over the network with zero tuning.

Thinking of tuning.. You haven't done any jumbo frames or other oddball stuff to the network have you?

The NAS settings are factory reset default right now, except for the volume, the windows share, and the static IP for the Intel NIC.

Haven't done any weird tuning that I know of?

I'll try booting my Windows client into Ubuntu Live and trying a RAM disk.

Last edited:

Baptiste

Explorer
I've gone back and re-read this whole thread. At this point, I'm going to recommend
you use MemTest86 and hammer a while on the RAM in the FreeNAS box. This is
something that will cost nothing more than time. This idea was spawned by this quote.

I can try memtest86 if you would like, but I do want to say, the RAM, CPU, and Mobo in the NAS was my old build which I just swapped this weekend for the new fancy Intel CPU and Asus board in my Desktop. And I never had RAM issues with it before. But I can try doing a memtest86.

Status
Not open for further replies.