SOLVED Copying 1GB Files From NAS to Windows Causes Network Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baptiste

Explorer
So a quick run down of the issue:

When copying files to the NAS from windows, there is no issue. When copying files from the NAS back to Windows, the transfer crashes and the NAS gets kicked off my Map Networked Drive. I generally have to unplugged and plug the NAS back into the machine.

More Info:

The NAS is plugged directly into my Desktop motherboard, giving me the full 100MB/s. However, when I plug the NAS and Desktop into my router (which is only 30MB/s which is why I'm plugging directly into my Desktop) the transfers work fine, no issue. It seems the slow transfers are fine, but the quicker 100MB/s transfers crash. I tried this on my Mac plugged directly in and it seems to work fine but I need to do more testing on that. The issue seems to be a Windows/FreeNAS specific issue.

I tried disabling the Firewall (Windows Defender) and adding the Map Networked Drive to a exclude list, did not help. Tried a bunch of other things I can't remember right now as I was doing that at 3AM...

The file transfer in question was a 1GB movie file, seemed like good testing material as I do freelance video editing and that file represents a bulk of what I'll be transferring. I have also tried Blackmagic Speed Test and the same issue happened, crash on Windows, fine on Mac.

Again, from my testing it seems that writing to the NAS from Windows is fine, it's the reading where it crashes.

PC Specs:
Windows 10
Core i7 4770K (OC 4.5GHz)
Asus Sabertooth z87
24GB DDR3 ( 2 X 8GB, 2 X 4GB)
500GB SSD

NAS Specs:
FreeNAS 9.10-Stable
A8-6600K
Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H
8GB DDR3 (2 X 4GB)
5 X 1TB HDD (Raid z2)
1 X 8GB USB (Boot)

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Your FreeNAS motherboard has a Realtek® GbE LAN chip which may be to blame here.
If you happen to have an Intel base PCIe NIC laying about, try throwing that into the mix,
history has proven that a good Intel chipset at BOTH ends solves this type of issue more times, than not.

Nick2253

Wizard
First, let's make sure there isn't a problem with something on your computer. Have you updated your NIC drivers in Windows? Try getting the latest Intel NIC Drivers directly from Intel.

Now, try to copy files back and forth from a share on a different computer. Does it work?

Lastly, an easy fix to this problem would be to buy a 1Gbps switch. You can get them for very cheap.

Baptiste

Explorer
Hello Dave, thanks for the quick answer. Sadly I don't have a spare NIC laying around. Could you recommend me a decent 1gb NIC that is FreeNAS compatible (assuming they aren't all)? Or know a website that could show me?
I also was thinking of getting a 10gb NIC for both PC and NAS since effectually the NAS read/write are well above the limited 1gb NIC built into my motherboard. Even getting used could be fine by me since they cost so bloody much. Any ideas?

And before I go buying gear, is there any software issues we can rule out?

Baptiste

Explorer
Hey Nick, yes I did update the drivers to no help.

Like I said, when I copied from my Mac laptop it seemed to worked fine with no issues, however again I didn't test that nearly as much and will when I am back home.

I see you said to buy a switch, not a NIC?
If the transfers don't work copied directly not sure how adding a switch would help?

Baptiste

Explorer
Didn't realize there was a dedicated reply button for each of your posts, oops...

Baptiste

Explorer
Your FreeNAS motherboard has a Realtek® GbE LAN chip which may be to blame here.
If you happen to have an Intel base PCIe NIC laying about, try throwing that into the mix,
history has proven that a good Intel chipset at BOTH ends solves this type of issue more times, than not.

Replying to you directly so you can see my post below your post.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

Baptiste

Explorer
First, let's make sure there isn't a problem with something on your computer. Have you updated your NIC drivers in Windows? Try getting the latest Intel NIC Drivers directly from Intel.

Now, try to copy files back and forth from a share on a different computer. Does it work?

Lastly, an easy fix to this problem would be to buy a 1Gbps switch. You can get them for very cheap.

Replying to you directly so you can see my post below your post.

Baptiste

Explorer

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Maybe I'll stop by a Microcenter or something, pretty good return policies if it doesn't work.

But again, is there any software things we can rule out first?

To recap...
You checked windows driver up to date - check
You have both machines directly linked - check
Your Mac works (it probably has an Intel NIC port) - check
I would concentrate on getting the transfer speeds consistent/reliable with both
large and small files between FreeNAS and desktop, before considering switch
investment and/or a 10GbE "project".
If you want some validation, use the forum search feature and type in "Realtek NIC" (within the Networking section).
After about 15 min. of reading, it will be obvious that FreeBSD drivers simply do not support Realtek NICs
edit: the above is due to Realteks failure, NOT to be blamed on FreeBSD (AT ALL)!

Nick2253

Wizard
Hey Nick, yes I did update the drivers to no help.

Like I said, when I copied from my Mac laptop it seemed to worked fine with no issues, however again I didn't test that nearly as much and will when I am back home.

I see you said to buy a switch, not a NIC?
If the transfers don't work copied directly not sure how adding a switch would help?

I suggested buying a switch, which will mean you won't have to direct connect, and that would help overcome the problems with your router. I didn't realize your FreeNAS motherboard doesn't have an Intel NIC.

Baptiste

Explorer
To recap...
You checked windows driver up to date - check
You have both machines directly linked - check
Your Mac works (it probably has an Intel NIC port) - check
I would concentrate on getting the transfer speeds consistent/reliable with both
large and small files between FreeNAS and desktop, before considering switch
investment and/or a 10GbE "project".
If you want some validation, use the forum search feature and type in "Realtek NIC" (within the Networking section).
After about 15 min. of reading, it will be obvious that FreeBSD drivers simply do not support Realtek NICs
edit: the above is due to Realteks failure, NOT to be blamed on FreeBSD (AT ALL)!

Yes all those checks are correct. The speeds between the NAS and Windows is consistent, just with the router it's slow and the direct plug makes it crash.
You're right, I will hold off of 10gbps for a while, but it will slow down my editing.
Mmm, I see what you mean about Realtek but isn't it weird that the NAS (Realtek) to Mac (Intel) works fine, but NAS (Realtek) to Windows (Intel) fails?
Maybe I'm being stubborn but that seems to rule out the Realtek for me? But then again, you're the FreeNAS Guru.

Since 10gbps might be a bad idea right now cause that's a lot of money, what about, I forgot what it's called when you have a NIC with 4 jacks in the NAS connected to another NIC with 4 jacks in the Desktop. Would FreeNAS support that?

Baptiste

Explorer
Thanks Nick, so if I should go Intel for a NIC (and seems I can get any NIC as long as it's Intel?) what do you recommend for a switch?

Nick2253

Wizard
Thanks Nick, so if I should go Intel for a NIC (and seems I can get any NIC as long as it's Intel?) what do you recommend for a switch?

Any Intel NIC should be fine. I'd recommend an Intel PRO something, as they are both cheap and reliable. As far as a switch is concerned, anything will probably work. Stay away from super-budget models; I'd check a local hardware store to see what they have on sale.

Baptiste

Explorer
Any Intel NIC should be fine. I'd recommend an Intel PRO something, as they are both cheap and reliable. As far as a switch is concerned, anything will probably work. Stay away from super-budget models; I'd check a local hardware store to see what they have on sale.

Thanks Nick, I'll check something out later today at a store.

BTW, Dave (or Nick) what I was thinking of is SMB Multichannel.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Maybe I'm being stubborn but that seems to rule out the Realtek for me?
Or maybe the Mac's OS just somehow deals with the crap Realtek, better than Windoze? I could be dead wrong here. Please note that
my designation of Guru is a dubious thing at best. I'm a hobbyist, not an IT Proffesional

Baptiste

Explorer
Mmm, I might just have to end up buying a NIC. Hopefully that will work. Wish I wasn't stuck at 100MB/s though. Some of these 4K files need 200BM/s or higher at times.

Sakuru

Guru
Core i7 4770K (OC 4.5GHz)
Try dropping this back to stock.

I also was thinking of getting a 10gb NIC
Chelsio is the forum favorite. You can find used ones for cheap on eBay. The T420 in WorkTEST works extremely well. I also picked up some S310's, but I haven't tested those yet.

Baptiste

Explorer
Try dropping this back to stock.

Chelsio is the forum favorite. You can find used ones for cheap on eBay. The T420 in WorkTEST works extremely well. I also picked up some S310's, but I haven't tested those yet.

Dropped OC back to stock, didn't work. Reset OC back to 4.5GHz.

I also saw in another forum someone had said the tunable hw.msk.msi_disable Value 1 for them had worked, similar but not same issue. Did not work for me.

Trying my Mac test now to see if it really is FreeNAS/Windows issue or all over issue.

Will let you know when I'm done.

Side note: I had my NAS plugged into a monitor before when I did another Windows test. There was no on screen info at all at time of transfer fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.