Connectivity Issues with Existing SMB Shares and New Win10 Box

Steve Beschakis

Dabbler
Hi, this might be a known Win10 issue arising from the combination of a very new Win10 system and an ancient, bewhiskered FreeNAS install
(FreeNAS-9.2.1-RELEASE-x64 (bd35c86) ).

So, I built the NAS box forever ago as a file server for two workstations--one running Linux, the other a Win7 install. Neither of those existing computers ever had any problems accessing the FreeNAS-hosted shares. There's nothing special about the FN setup, no jails or encrypted shares or anything like that. Access from the Linux box is totally transparent; the Win7 node was always a little slow to initially see the SMB shares, but once it did, I had no problem maintaining a connection for media streaming, file management, whatever.
OK, so I finally ditched the Win7 box and built a snazzy new Win10 Pro-based gaming rig. When the new box first came up, I enabled network discovery and it found the FreeNAS shares OK. So, here's the issue: Whenever I'm doing any kind of media playback of files on the FN shares from the new Win10 box, everything is solid until I do any network browsing, like opening Windows Explorer, or trying to open files in any other app. For example, if I'm watching a video from one of the FN shares and I decide to open a file in a text editor, the instant I invoke the file browser, media playback crashes. ..weird, eh? I never experience this sort of instability from the Linux system--there's zero latency, and file access is totally transparent. I probably need to update the FreeNAS install, but I'm sort of curious about likely root causes. I should mention that the dropped connection issue described above is100% reproducible--it happens every time I browse the network during media playback.
Thanks for any ideas or accounts of similar issues that might help me decide if / how to proceed.