Not open for further replies.

therealpure

Dabbler
Hi,

Setup:
FreeNAS 9.3-BETA 2014-11-08 00:21:30 GMT

Platform AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N54L Dual-Core Processor

Memory 16230MB

I can access the FreeNAS GUI (192.168.1.80). I have CIFS turned on.

The FreeNAS won't turn up in "Networks" on my Win10 machine.

The FreeNAS is simply called "freenas". e.g. in NetBIOS name: freenas. The shares are called "Media", "Freenas", "Vol1". I have tried mapping a drive using

"\\freenas\Media" - I get and error: "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid. Please choose another".
"\\192.168.1.80\Media" - Same error.

I can access the folders using FTP with Filezilla so the folders are there and the FreeNAS box is on the network.

I have also gone to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings to ensure that Network discovery is set to ON as well as File/Printer sharing being ON.

Any help is welcome

Last edited by a moderator:

Redcoat

MVP
Take a look here and at the linked knowledgebase article identified almost at the bottom of it - these may help you understand what the issue (most likely) is.

therealpure

Dabbler
Does this affect all Win10 users of Freenas? Is there a simplier way to access the folders?

Redcoat

MVP
There many threads here from W10 users with browsing and access problems because of the Samba security changes made in the latest versions. Here's one that details the deployment of the methods discussed in the information I earlier linked you to for win10 1709 (the latest, which has the features required).

therealpure

Dabbler
Sorry I don't think you linked the thead you mention

There many threads here from W10 users with browsing and access problems because of the Samba security changes made in the latest versions. Here's one that details the deployment of the methods discussed in the information I earlier linked you to for win10 1709 (the latest, which has the features required).

cwxc818

Dabbler
I had a similar issue. Was able to access CIFS share via \\freenas or \\192.x.x.x on my Win10 laptop then one day it stopped working (not sure why). I was able to ping, able to use Plex, but couldn't access GUI via any web browser or access CIFS share. Did some googling and it was suggested to try running "net view \\computername" from cmd prompt. After this I was immediately able to access CIFS share. Since then it's happened once or twice and I run the same thing in cmd prompt to bring it "back to life". I don't have a good explanation as to why this worked for me, but maybe it's worth a try for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.