Network PC's cannot successfully ping FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgriffin2

Cadet
Issue: From the Shell of the FreeNAS web gui FreeNAS can ping other machines on the network; however, other network PC's (both Linux and Windows machines) cannot ping FreeNAS.

General Setup Info:
FreeNAS Version: 9.2.1 64 Bit
FreeNAS Storage/Shares: Using ZFS configuration with both NFS and CIFS shares are setup with the permission wide open at present.
Network Information: FreeNAS machine has 2 NIC's that are aggregated from FreeNAS using LACP...this is not a new connection and this has been working fine as far as I know. Using Windows Server 2008 for AD/DNS. The FreeNAS box is assigned a static ip along with a hostname.

More info...I am baffled for two reasons: 1.) I know that the FreeNAS box can communicate across my internal network b/c it can ping out; and 2.) I can successfully connect to my FreeNAS shares from both through Win7 (using the Network folder the FreeNAS folders are visible) and through my ESXi machine and the VM's running on it so essentially through other means I can get in.

On the other hand, I am setting up a new Ubuntu Server box that I need my shares from FreeNAS to be mounted on. When I try to connect to the FreeNAS box using Samba I got an error message - so I went back to basics to see if I could just ping the FreeNAS box...and I could not. From the new server I also tried to ping other PC's on the network and that worked fine so I would assume that it is not a connectivity issue with the new server.

After I could not ping FreeNAS from the new server I am setting up I opened a CMD prompt on one of the Windows machines that already has access to (and is using) the FreeNAS shares...and I also could not ping FreeNAS from there.

My educated guess is that I am missing a setting within the FreeNAS gui or that this is something I should have setup in the shell...but I have searched for a couple of days to no avail and need some help.

Has anyone ever seen symptoms such as these and if so, could you please provide some guidance as to where I should go from here?

Thank you!

alexg

Contributor
Can you ping by IP address?

rgriffin2

Cadet
No I cannot ping by IP... to expound more on above - here is my network setup.

192.168.x.1 - Gateway
192.168.x.2 - Cisco Smart Switch
192.168.x.3 - Asus RT-N16 Wireless Router (being used in bridge mode and only as a router for wireless devices on the network)

192.168.x.4 - Windows Server 2008 - AD/DNS (Domain is set here) Domain = internal.xxxxxxx.org

192.168.x.5 - Windows Server 2008 - vCenter Server for ESXi 5.5 (Virtual Machine) - I can access FreeNAS shares from this machine by going through Windows Explorer > Network > FREENAS...and I can read and write to my FreeNAS shares fine. BUT... if I go to the Windows Command Prompt and do "ping 192.168.x.122" the response I receive is that the destination is unreachable and essentially I get a timeout. While it does not make sense that the destination is unreachable...the timeout part makes sense b/c the DNS timeout is 100 seconds. Domain = vcenter.internal.xxxxxxx.org

192.168.x.122 - FreeNAS (Physical Machine) - this is the LAGG IP; in other words this is the IP I use when logging onto FreeNAS Web GUI. Domain = freenas.internal.xxxxxxx.org Note: From the Shell within the FreeNAS Web GUI I can successfully ping all of the other machines listed in this post.

192.168.x.51 - Windows 2007 Machine (Physical Laptop) - I can access FreeNAS shares from this machine by going through Windows Explorer > Network > FREENAS...and I can read and write to my FreeNAS shares fine. BUT... if I go to the Windows Command Prompt and do "ping 192.168.x.122" the response I receive is that the destination is unreachable and essentially I get a timeout. While it does not make sense that the destination is unreachable...the timeout part makes sense b/c the DNS timeout is 100 seconds. Domain = w7.internal.xxxxxxx.org

192.168.x.111 - Ubuntu Server 12.x (Virtual Machine)- This machine is really where my troubles became apparent. As mentioned above I need to be able to mount my FreeNAS shares to this machine. As with the Windows physical & virtual machines - when I try to ping 192.168.x.122 I get an error message that the host is not reachable.

I know that this is not all exactly easy to visualize but any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if additional information is needed and I'll be glad to supply asap.

Thanks again!

solarisguy

Guru
I can only suspect what your problem is, however please try the following steps:
  • On your Server 2008 (x.5) do ping -n 1 -r 1FREENAS and tracert -d FREENAS also check the content of the file C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
  • On your laptop (x.51) do ping -n 1 -r 1FREENAS and tracert -d FREENAS also check the content of the file C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
  • On your FreeNAS (x.122) do traceroute -n 192.168.x.5 and traceroute -n 192.168.x.51
  • On all three netstat -nr

rgriffin2

Cadet
Solarisguy - Thank you for your response. Using your commands and logic as you listed above led me to my issue. Apparently I had a disconnect between my Windows Active Directory and FreeNAS which was causing the issues I was experiencing on the different boxes. I cannot explain why (or how) I was still able to map to the FreeNAS drive from Windows Explorer (while this disconnect existed) - but in redoing the FreeNAS active directory settings and restarting everything my issue has been resolved.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.