Clean install 11.3-U2 Import Config from 9.10.2-U6 results in error no such table: django_migrations

joacom

Cadet
Hello Guys,
So i tried to upgrade directly from Freenas webinterface, and the server rebooted but it get errors and do not boot up. I did revert it back to the working version(9.10.2-U6), and read that a clean install could help, and i could then import my config.

So i replaced the USB Stick with a new one, and installed 11.3-U2 from Scratch. and everything worked fine until i tried to import my config.

Question: Anyone seen this error before? and know how to fix it?

[EFAULT] The uploaded file is not valid: no such table: django_migrations

1587109661115.png

joacom

Cadet
Just for extra information, The 9.10 version is FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE (9.10.2-U6)

Just a couple of quick notes before you go further:
  1. Don't upgrade ZFS flags until you have everything working, otherwise, you won't be able to stay with an earlier release while you fix things up.
  2. Are you able to upgrade in smaller steps? Just noting that Warden jails end with 11.2. So you need to sort these out first somewhere between 11.0 and 11.2.
  3. Check out the earlier release notes for other gotchas.

Last edited:

David F

Cadet
Bit of a noob here. I put off from upgrading from freenas 9 for some time, then finally took the plunge, however the upgrade failed to boot, which was my worst nightmare. I have done a fresh install to a new USB stick and am now presented with the error as mentioned above about the missing table. So I am now unable to upload my settings and get back to my data on my drives.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Has a fix been identified for this?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
11.3 was a major rewrite. You'll have to upgrade from 9.10->11.0->11.2, before going to 11.3.

David F

Cadet
11.3 was a major rewrite. You'll have to upgrade from 9.10->11.0->11.2, before going to 11.3.
Thank you for your quick reply. I am in the process of installing a downgrade. If I upgrade incrementally like you mention within the gui is it likely to be successful. Or do I need to manually install each upgrade then save config.... Upgrade then upload config and so on.

Samuel Tai

You should be able to upgrade incrementally, but it's a good idea to save the config after each step in case you'll have to do a clean install at any point.

David F

Cadet
Thank you - hopefully my last question - I am having difficulty finding an install - I have managed to install 9.3 but it will not let me upgrade within the GUI.
So I am looking for 9.10 however I am struggling to find bootable versions.
I have found an archive but am unable to get any of them to install : https://archive.freenas.org/
(I am left with a blinking cursor)

I maybe selecting the wrong file but am downloading the ISO marked as 'STABLE' however I cannot get it to install.
I have noticed these installs default to UEFI (non CSM) within Rufus (Burning tool), Should I be going for 'RELEASE'

However the installs that do work default to BIOS (or UEFI-CSM)
Which makes more sense to me as the machine I am running is not running UEFI.
(maybe a red herring)

Any idea which files I should be looking for?

Many thanks

Samuel Tai

David F

Cadet
Finally got the system upgraded, everything seems to be working although Plex plugin is no longer installed so will look at that next. So thanks very much for your help. :)))
Regarding plex do you happen to know if I need to start again or can point plex to look at old jails etc so that it picks up from where it left off?

Samuel Tai

Your original Plex media dataset isn't affected by the upgrade. 11.3 switches to a new jail system, iocage, which is incompatible with the old jail system, warden, which was abandoned upstream. Try running the migration utility /usr/local/sbin/migrate_warden.py.

Yorick

Wizard
You are probably best off reinstalling the Plex plugin. You can rsync -ha the metadata across, either into the new Plex jail or into a separate datastore that you mount in. That way, all your movie descriptions and such remain intact.