CIF's Shares and guest access

Status
Not open for further replies.

platinumjsi

Dabbler
Ok so not sure if this is even possible.

I have a main dataset with two datasets within that, Files and Jails.

I have created a cifs share and pointed it to files and then tried to access it via windows.
Frist oddity, clicking the freenas box in network prompts me for credentials, I would have expected it to show me the shares then ask for credentials?
Anyhow I put in the credentials for the user I assigned as owner of the files dataset.
All good I can access the files.

Within the files dataset I have a few folders with data in that I want to share out to people on the LAN without them needing credentials.
So I created another share, pointed it to the folder within files I want to share and ticked guest access when creating the share.

When I reboot and try to access freenas on the lan now it still asks me for credentials.

How I imagine it should work is that I should click the freenas box, then see two shares, one for files and one for the new folder I shared, I should then be able to access the new folder fine with no credentials and files with the credentials of the account that owns it?

Am I making sense? does this sound right? where am I going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

ravensorb

Dabbler
Not exactly -- that is the procedure for creating a NEW share with guest access. What about setting up an existing share for guest access?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Not exactly -- that is the procedure for creating a NEW share with guest access. What about setting up an existing share for guest access?
It's the same except you edit the share you want to have guest access for.

The steps are,
Check the box for guest access and only guest access. Then make the owner of the dataset the same as your guest user which is default to nobody.

Status
Not open for further replies.