Painfully slow fresh install

tvo.psc

Dabbler
I am a Freenas virgin (not yet experienced enough to be called a newbie). Recently purchased an iXs Mini with 11.1. Created initial shares which worked great as long as guest access was enabled. Ran into problems with Windows security/credentials when guest access not enabled (evidently not unusual). While researching that problem, noted the availability of version 11.2 and decided to upgrade before putting further effort into my project.

Performed a fresh install of 11.2 with an ISO on a USB stick. Seemed to work fine, but connection to the new GUI was slow, and the GUI would frequently crash and require reentry of password. Switched to the Legacy GUI which was more stable and allowed me to create a new pool and nonsecured share. Sadly, all operations within that share (eg creating, opening, copying files) are painfully slow to initiate.

Hoping for suggestions before I try a new bootable USB drive and a new fresh install. Thanks.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

tvo.psc

Dabbler
Thanks for your reply.

I am afraid my post was not precise enough. I only booted from the USB drive for the upgrade installation. The freenas OS was written to the 16 GB SATA drive included with the iXs Mini, which then became the boot drive. This setup worked well with version 11.1, not with 11.2 (yet).

[I also appreciate the link to the samba-smb-permissions video. Unfortunately, I duplicated exactly the instructions in this video and Windows security did not allow access the share when guests were not allowed. I am suspicious that this is not a freenas problem, but a problem intrinsic to my network or router set up. For now this is a secondary concern.]

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
In that case, the SATA DOM is suspicious. The models that initially shipped in the minis tended to fail a lot and that is still a possibility on the newer units.

You could try a USB flash drive (yes, I did say it's sub-optimal, but a non-crap model should be plenty for short-term testing) and see if the problem persists.

tvo.psc

Dabbler
I moved the iXs mini from my office to my home and ver 11.2 is working smoothly and quickly. Problems with windows shares also resolved. Must have issues with router/network at office.