Fresh install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris230291

Patron
Hello. With the release of 9.0.1 I would like to do a completely fresh install to try and irradiate occasional weird glitches and errors i sometimes get.

Is it possible to start from scratch but keep only the data on my ZFS RAID set? Can i point FreeNas at my RAID set upon a fresh install and get back all of my datasets etc? I'm ok with having to reconfigure shares, plugins etc but i don't want to loose my data.

Do i just follow the instructions here... http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Volumes
Because when i try this NOW (before fresh install) i get no volumes/pools (whatever) in the drop down menu. Is this because it's already "live" so i cant reimport it? Does it only display volumes that are not already "imported"?

I like to double check before i start.

Thanks,
Chris.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Backup config. Install new version on thumb drive. Boot. Restore config. Done.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Chris230291

Patron
Is this the ONLY way? I have saved the config but i really wanted to start over... other than the data in my RAID aray.

The way i interperate the instructions in the documentation i linked to suggests if use the "auto import" feature it will do exactly what I'm describing?

Chris230291

Patron
I figured if it doesn't work like i want it to, i can always revert to the config i saved, so i went ahead and tried it and it worked exactly how i thought it would :)

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You can import the volume on a fresh install. I didnt think you really wanted to reconfigure everything else.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.