CIFS Share Everyone access, only one can edit

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishinfiend

Dabbler
How would I setup a CIFS share that anyone can access, but only one person can add, move, edit, and delete. The reason I am asking is because I would like to have a folder that anyone can look at and use the music, pictures, and movies, but I am the only one that has full control. I know that I can do it using minidnla and firefly, but I would like it so they can actually add it to there own computer.

Thanks for the help.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
In the manual it discusses how to setup read-only shares with CIFS. I have 2 main shares.. Entertainment(mapped for me and only me and has full permissions) and Entertainment_ReadOnly(maps for anyone and has read-only permissions).

Dusan

Guru
You don't need two shares. Set the user that should have full access as the Owner of the directory/dataset you are sharing and give him full rights (Read/Write/Execute), give only Read & Execute permissions to Other (do the change recursively). Then enable Allow Guest Access for the CIFS share (but do not enable Only Allow Guest Access). You are done. Only that one user is able to write into the share, but anybody else (even if they do not have FreeNAS account) can access the share as read only.
I have almost the same setup, but I use a Group instead of Owner so that both my wife an I can upload photos, but anybody (any device) can view the photos.

Stan

Cadet
I have the exact same use-case as fishinfiend (owner: full access, others: read-only), and have set up my CIFS shares nearly as Dusan describes (single share with differing permissions for owner and others, although "Set permission recursively" is not set), but was thoroughly surprised to find that others could still delete files from these shares when I tested with other accounts. I have another CIFS share (on the same volume) for backups with dedicated user access, which behaves properly (only owner & users can read/write/execute, others are read-only). During testing, I can remove the Read and Execute permissions separately, and other accounts are properly denied. I am perplexed as to why I can't seem to get this working. Any thoughts about what to try? I've attached an image of the CIFS permissions. Thanks in advance.
Picture1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.