CIFS share with both "Anonymous" and "Local User" authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swindlestikz

Cadet
After much searching of the forums I cannot seem to find any answer to what I want to do.

My setup is very simple. I have a dataset with the path "/mnt/volume1/public". I would like to make this dataset available to everyone on my home network with "read" and "execute" permissions only, and no authentication required. That is, anyone who connects to the network with a Windows PC can access the dataset with "read" and "execute" permissions. I would also like to have a user account (me) associated with this dataset who has full permissions, but requires a login. The goal is for anyone on the network to be able to access the movies stored in the dataset, but I would be the only one allowed to add or remove the movies.

I have set up a CIFS share successfully with either "Anonymous" or "Local User" authentication using http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Windows_(CIFS)_Shares, but I cannot seem to be able to combine the two. I do not want to have to create a user account for every person who wants to watch the movies on the network (my house gets a lot of traffic), but I can't figure out how to set it up so that I can log in and change the files using Windows Explorer while also allowing anyone access with no login and only "read and "execute" permissions.

Is this even possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.