CIFS share problem with Macs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi408

Dabbler
Hi All,

I am having problems with sharing my CIFS share on my FreeNAS to my Macs. I need CIFS because I share the media folder to stream movies, hold pictures, and hold my music to my Windows Media Center PC. When I try to copy things to my shared CIFS folder from my MAC I get an error: The operation could not be completed because one or more required items can't be found. (Error code -43)

It only copies the first item I try to transfer but it doesn't copy anything else and I get that error. The only folders that work are permission type folders for MAC.

How can I make it work so that my CIFS shared folders work correctly with MACS? My folder Media allows Guest so it should be open to anyone.

Also what's up with TimeMachine and Freenas? Why is it super slow? It also gets stuck and won't start many times.

Thanks for the help again all.

AFP.png CIFS.png Media on AFP.png Media on CIFS.png

Luigi408

Dabbler
I also get "The operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -1407).

Can't seem to make FreeNAS work the way I want. Might give up on FreeNAS. It won't just work. I try to follow all the basic setup and all the YouTube videos posted by FreeNAS team and took the free online class. Nothing there has helped much with so many errors and obstacles I've encountered.

Glorious1

Guru
I don't know anything about CIFS sharing, but you might try posting your complete hardware configuration. Some of the helpful experts will ignore problems that don't include that.
Your post suggests you are exclusively sharing with CIFS, but some of the images suggest you are also sharing via AFP. It is recommended not to share a dataset with two different protocols. Could that be your problem? Your Mac should be able to do CIFS.

stefanb

Patron
Hi Luigi,

which permission type did you select in dataset properties?
When using CIFS, you should choose windows!
If your dataset contains content, the enable the "set premissions recursive".

S.

Luigi408

Dabbler
Hi All,

Sorry for the big delay in reply. Started school so I've been super busy.

Thank you all for the suggestions. So what I did was turn all my shared folders to CIFS/Windows share. The only folders I don't use Windows or CIFS share is dedicated folders that only Macs at home will use such as TimeMachine folder for backups and an "Apple" folder for storage such as iPhoto and other stuff.

My Media folder, which is the most important, I made it a CIFS share only and connected from my Mac as SMB. It works fine now and I can read and write to it.

My only problem is that I had to enable Allow Guest Access. Is this required to be enable so that Macs can log into a CIFS share folder to read and write? I want to have guest be able to use it but not to write to it. Just read/execute. I want users to be able to log in THEN be able to read/write/execute.

Thanks again for the help. It is finally working like I want it to. Now I just need to figure out how to install my PositiveSSL certificate that I purchased from Namecheap so that I can use HTTPS and use my files over the internet. Ugh so much work lol.

stefanb

Patron
Hi Luigi,

I think there is no need to enable guest account. I'm using CIFS with Mac without any guest account.
Is "Browsable to network clients" enabled?
Maybe the users need access to the "main" share?

In wour windows, logged in as root, open explorer and enter \\<FREENAS SEVERNAME>
Your shares appear. Goto Properties, security?/permissions? and check if the users/groups you defined have access.
But be careful, I remember that the premissions are set recursivly.

Bildschirmfoto 2015-02-04 um 10.50.56.png

Hope it helps

S.

Luigi408

Dabbler
Hi stefanb,

Thanks for your help. Yes, browsable to network clients is enabled on my CIFS shares.

Here are my permissions of my shared folder Media. The images show my settings and the user I use to log into my shares (credentials).

Credentials.png Properties.png

The permission settings I use for my Windows shares is: Owner(user) is luis, and the Owner(group) I use is guest. The only way I can write in both Mac and Windows is if I use Owner(group) as guest and have guest enabled. If I use anything else it won't let me write to my shared CIFS. Maybe I am logging in wrong from my Windows PCs but I honestly don't know any other way to make it work. I would like to use Owner(user) luis and Owner(group) home on my CIFS because home group contains all my family members that I made an account for in freenas. I don't want to allow anyone else to write other than people in the group home, but I haven't figured how to do it =/

I'm just happy its working but if you have any tips please let me know how to fix my permissions.

Thanks again!

stefanb

Patron
Hi,

why using guest-group when guest are unwanted? Are your users members of group guest?
In my case, I created a group "home" and the owner of dataset are user root and group home.
I removed the everyone and added the home group with full access in windows acl.

S.

Luigi408

Dabbler
Hi,

Well, I cannot get anything to write to the shared CIFS folders unless I use the guest group. No, none of the users are in the 'guest' group at all. They are all on the 'home' group. For what ever reason, when I go onto my PC and go into my freenas it won't let me write to folders that have group 'home' and user 'luis'.

To test I made a folder named TV Shows. On this folder I set up user 'luis' and group 'home'. So I got into my PC and log into my freenas and I log in with User: luis and Password: (same as freenas). I navigate to the folder TV Shows and try to add a new folder inside. I get an error saying: "You need permission to perform this action."

On the TV Show properties and on the Security tab the Group or user names shows the owner name 'luis' and group name 'home'. Both have everything allowed.

So from my understanding it should work. I don't know where the mistake I am making with permissions. I attached the pictures to show all the process.
Permissions.png
Test 1.png
Test 2.png
Test 3.png

Thanks again for your help. Sorry its taking a bit long to get this working.

Status
Not open for further replies.