SOLVED Changing root or admin password

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has how this works changed in the last major version or so? I see confusing search results out on the web. I'm running 9.3 stable (yesterdays latest download of that) here.

Is the username and password you enter to the web gui (which is root plus the password I set) the same as the username and password for a shell root login?

And how do you change it/them (depending if they're the same or not)? I've changed the password in the web gui shell window using passwd, but when I log out and log back in (through the web) it still takes the old original password, not the new one.

In the WebGUI change roots password under Accounts->Users.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Change the password through the web GUI, not the CLI (which is good general advice for anything in FreeNAS--if you can change it through the GUI, use the GUI; if you can't change it through the GUI, consider seriously whether you need to change it at all). Yes, the root password will work for shell logins, and other users you create can also log in to the shell if you allow them to.

Okay, root user, must change in GUI not at command line. (Works, of course.) Other users seem to work also at least in simple cases.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Please note that you can change the password from the CLI using passwd. You can also create accounts, delete accounts, etc from the CLI.

However, on reboot you'll be unhappy because the system will bootup and recreate all of the accounts from the config file, which was not changed when you used the CLI and not the WebGUI. So all your changes to users that you made will suddenly be gone.

Really sucks for people that do this because they don't realize this until they reboot, which for some people has been after a year or more, and then the find out they were failing at using FreeNAS properly for a whole year. ;)

Imotep

Cadet
I have the very same problem unfortunately executing the CLI set root password command as well as performing an update has not cleared my inability to get past the gui log in. I attempted the shell passwd change prior to upgrading to Corral. I hope not to blow everything away and start fresh, thus loosing all prior configurations. Seems as though password credentials must be contained within some internal database.
Now we're getting into the nuts and bolts of this gadget.

Status
Not open for further replies.