Can't make new disk work

thisisnotsound

Dabbler
Hi,

I have an issue with a new disk. Formatted it, mounted a new pool, added dataset, managed permissions, but user can't see the new volume.
FreeNAS-11.2-U2.1
It shows in Dashboard, Disks list, Pools list also. I can choose it when assigning user permissions.
When trying to edit dataset i get an error:

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 305, in do_update
dataset.properties[k] = prop
File "libzfs.pyx", line 374, in libzfs.ZFS.__exit__
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 294, in do_update
prop.value = v['value']
File "libzfs.pyx", line 1069, in libzfs.ZFSProperty.value.__set__
libzfs.ZFSException: use 'none' to disable quota/refquota

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 165, in call_method
result = await self.middleware.call_method(self, message)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1141, in call_method
return await self._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=app, io_thread=False)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1081, in _call
return await methodobj(*args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/service.py", line 289, in update
f'{self._config.namespace}.update', self, self.do_update, [id, data]
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1081, in _call
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 664, in nf
return await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 757, in do_update
rv = await self.middleware.call('zfs.dataset.update', id, {'properties': props})
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1145, in call
return await self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=app, pipes=pipes, io_thread=True)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/service.py", line 289, in update
f'{self._config.namespace}.update', self, self.do_update, [id, data]
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1095, in _call
return await run_method(methodobj, *args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1041, in run_in_thread
return await self.loop.run_in_executor(executor, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 56, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 668, in nf
return f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 309, in do_update
raise CallError(f'Failed to update dataset: {e}')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Failed to update dataset: use 'none' to disable quota/refquota

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have an issue with a new disk. Formatted it, mounted a new pool, added dataset, managed permissions,

Did you do that in the GUI, because the terms you are using don't sound like it? It also sounds like you are using a single disk instead of creating a pool of multiple disks with redundancy. Also, it sounds like you are making each disk a separate, single disk, pool which is not how FreeNAS is supposed to be used.

We need some answers so we can figure out what is going on with this.

thisisnotsound

Dabbler
Did you do that in the GUI, because the terms you are using don't sound like it? It also sounds like you are using a single disk instead of creating a pool of multiple disks with redundancy. Also, it sounds like you are making each disk a separate, single disk, pool which is not how FreeNAS is supposed to be used.

We need some answers so we can figure out what is going on with this.

Hi,

I did everything in GUI, the new one uses these terms.

My primary focus is a home LAN media storage, movies and TV shows mainly. Nothing that could not be downloaded from the internet, redundancy is not an issue. (The internet connection is quite slow here, streaming in HD/ 4K from external source is not an option.)
I got involved in Freenas last week for the first time, installed one 4T disk but as I collected everything it almost got full. I got a second one, and want to use it. I would prefer not moving everything back to the several usb disks and computers if possible.

I did not dare to extend the existing pool, would it be the solution?

Doesn't sound like you've got any redundancy with your setup. Please detail your FreeNAS hardware and software configuration. The Forum Guidelines will give you an idea of the details you should be providing.

thisisnotsound

Dabbler
I have and at the moment I want no redundancy, if a drive fails I can download everything within a few weeks.
OS Version:
FreeNAS-11.2-U2.1
(Build Date: Feb 27, 2019 20:59)
Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 cores)
Memory:
8 GiB
Motherboard:
Asus A61 M-E

onboard controllers and network.

60 GB Kingston SSD for boot and system
4T Western Digital drive (already in use and almost full)
4T HGST drive (new, empty)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I did not dare to extend the existing pool, would it be the solution?
Extending the pool is the thing to do, if you insist on running with no redundancy, because then it is all one big space instead of being two entirely separate spaces.
You might want to do some reading about how ZFS (the file system) works. Here are some links for you:

Slideshow explaining VDev, zpool, ZIL and L2ARC
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

Terminology and Abbreviations Primer
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.28174/

Why not to use RAID-5 or RAIDz1
https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-raid-5-stops-working-in-2009/
4T HGST drive (new, empty)
Can you give some more info on this drive, as it is the one you are having problems with?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Also, here is a link to a very well done guide for how to configure FreeNAS, but it was written for the old user interface. You can use the legacy interface on your system to get the same look to make following along easier:

Uncle Fester's Basic FreeNAS Configuration Guide
https://www.familybrown.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fester:intro

thisisnotsound

Dabbler
If I want to add the second drive:

Estimated data capacity available after extension.: 4.22 TiB

This is not very good, I am adding two 3.64 TiB drives together as I understand it.

I can check the drive specs, serial later but I think it is not a hardware issue.
Do I understand it correctly that one user is not able to access two different pools at the same time?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I can check the drive specs, serial later but I think it is not a hardware issue.
If it isn't detecting the space on disk properly, there is probably something wrong in the hardware somewhere because that should be no problem for the FreeNAS software. I have over thirty disks in my system at home 24 of them are 4TB drives and 8 of them are 6TB. Then at work I have a system with 64 x 4TB drives, another with 60 x 6TB drives, and another system with 60 x 10TB drives. FreeNAS can do, but there is something wrong with the hardware of your system and that is what we need to figure out.
Please post as much detail as possible about ALL your hardware.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Asus A61 M-E
That is a really old system board. Are you connecting the drive to one of the integrated SATA ports? It may be a problem with the SATA port not being able to properly address a drive larger than 2TB. I remember that was once a thing but I can't remember exactly which controllers might be affected. You might need to get a more modern drive controller card to run your data drives.