Can't install from USB - Mountroot error 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyiam

Dabbler
I've tried installing quite a few different ways. First, I downloaded the image and used Win32 Disk Imager and it boots fine, but then gets to:

mountroot: waiting for device /dev/iso9660/FreeNAS_INSTALL ...

Loader variables:
vfs.root.mountfrom=cd9660:/dev/iso9660/FreeNAS_INSTALL

It hangs here for about a minute and then fails with error 19. If I try to list the boot devices with the '?' command it shows nothing.

I've tried booting with several different flash drives, both USB 2 and 3. I'm also using one of the two USB 2 ports on the back of the computer since I read that USB 3 is not supported. I read that this is caused when the BIOS sees the flash drive but the kernel does not. I don't understand how that could be, especially for the USB 2 ports.

I'm running an ASRock C236 WSI + i3 6100 w/ 16GB ECC. There aren't any options in the BIOS to disable USB3 so I'm really at a loss.

I even tried using a CD/DVD drive and running the install from there but when it gets to selecting a install destination no flash drives are listed. Any help is greatly appreciated

clarknova

Explorer
It sounds like a BIOS/firmware issue to me, but I could be wrong. Here's what I would be trying, barring better advice here from somebody else:

1. Make sure your BIOS/UEFI firmware is up to date from the vendor.
2. Use the "Load optimized defaults" option in the firmware setup. Most setups will have that or something like it.
3. Ensure that Secure Boot is disabled and that CSM/Legacy boot is enabled.
4. Try all of your different USB ports, including any on the front panel. I've seen boards that will boot from some USB ports and not others. I've also seen boards that boot the installer fine from a USB 3 port.
5. If the installer still fails, carefully inspect the other settings in the firmware setup. Try toggling things like fast/quick boot and anything to do with USB support. Change one setting at a time and try the install again. Take notes so you know what combinations of options you've already tried.

andyiam

Dabbler
Thanks for the help. The firmware version is 1.0, but I ran the update anyway just to be sure.

I tried the 9.3 image on my old motherboard, and it got further along, but when I choose install destination it says no drives were found.

Just to try something, I downloaded the latest FreeNAS 10.3 alpha and it boots up fine on both machines. I've ran the install and it's running on my new hardware. Obviously I'm not going to attach my pool to this, but it was a proof of concept for me.

Is there any reason I'm able to install 10.x but not 9.x? Could it be 9.3 is missing a driver that I need?

clarknova

Explorer
Thanks for the help. The firmware version is 1.0, but I ran the update anyway just to be sure.

Yes, I see that's the only release on the support site. New board.

Is there any reason I'm able to install 10.x but not 9.x? Could it be 9.3 is missing a driver that I need?

Yes. If that's the case I don't think you're going to find any relief in the 9.x branch. You might trying installing a USB pci card and hope it's bootable, but I wouldn't spend the money without some careful research first.

andyiam

Dabbler
Well that's disappointing. Any idea when 10 will be RTM?

Right now I'm sitting on a $700 paperweight.

clarknova

Explorer
You might entertain the idea of virtualising. Install ESXi on a dedicated disk, install FreeNAS in a vm, configure passthrough for the disk controller. Now FreeNAS only has to be compatible with the virtual hardware (it is) and the disk controller (most likely).

There are many in these forums that will tell you not to virtualise FreeNAS, and most of them are doing it themselves. Yes there are caveats, and yes you can do it.

andyiam

Dabbler
You should check out the FreeNAS 9.10 nightly, it uses FreeBSD 10.3 as it's base while keeping the familiar 9.3 functionality. It also support XHCI out of the box allowing you to boot from USB drives on Skylake.

http://download.freenas.org/9.10/MASTER/201603172117/x64/FreeNAS-9.10-MASTER-201603172117.iso

Thanks! I'm going to try that now.

I raised a case with ASRock and got this reply:

Hi Andy,

Thank you for reaching out to us for your question! The Intel C236 PCH is the 6thgeneration which Intel has removed the EHCI support. With the removal of the EHCI Controller, Intel does not anticipate any issues with only exposing an xHCI Controller for Windows 8/8.1/10 or Linux-based with kernel 2.6.38 or later.

FreeNAS in general is struggling with supporting the new Skylake platform mostly due to the lack of EHCI. I spoke with some folks on the FreeNAS forums about this issue and they had the same general consensus.

Best Regards
xxxxxxxx xxxx
ASRock America Inc.
Server FAE Department

It sounds like the XHCI vs EHCI issue is the likely culprit. I was able to get 9.3 running on vSphere but I'd rather not have to virtualize. I don't know that I'd ever run any other machines on the hardware so to that end it's just another layer of abstraction to contend with. How production ready is FreeNAS 9.10? Is it safe enough to not expect it to blow up with my data?

m0nkey_

MVP
I got 9.3 installed on an ESXI host and 9.10 installed natively. Any input on which is safer? I have an LSI 9211-8i on order and should arrive within the week.
Bare metal will always perform the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.