Not open for further replies.
hi all

Mounting from cd9660:/dev/iso9660/FreeNAS_INSTALL failed with error 19"

this error occurred during install after the GRUB

system specs:
mobo : N3150
CPU: Intel R celeron R 1.6Ghz
16GB of memory

what should i do? ive been trying with different USB's but been getting no luck,
thanks a lot

D

dlavigne

What size and model of sticks did you try? And which exact version of FreeNAS (name of downloaded file)?

Ruben1123

Cadet
I got the same setup and I am also not able to install FreeNas. I've tried 9.3 stable and nightlies on differant usb sticks. There is no option in de bios to disable usb3.0 (as of what ive read on a differant topic).

Any solution found since the last post?

Edit: also tried version 9.2.19 and 10.1, no luck with either of them..

Last edited:
I got the same setup and I am also not able to install FreeNas. I've tried 9.3 stable and nightlies on differant usb sticks. There is no option in de bios to disable usb3.0 (as of what ive read on a differant topic).

Any solution found since the last post?

Edit: also tried version 9.2.19 and 10.1, no luck with either of them..

I actually found a spare HDD lying around and I installed it on that, didnt have time to figure out the problem with the usb install but have not yet found a way to install the os onto the usb. I purchased a ps2 keyboard to debug and found it to be quite useful *as an extra.

Ruben1123

Cadet
I actually found a spare HDD lying around and I installed it on that, didnt have time to figure out the problem with the usb install but have not yet found a way to install the os onto the usb. I purchased a ps2 keyboard to debug and found it to be quite useful *as an extra.

How did you boot the installation and installed it on a HDD? Still from an USB stick?

McMonster

Cadet
I've just managed to boot FreeNAS on ASRock N3150-ITX motherboard, the solution is actually right in the manual, FreeNAS has to be booted with xhci_load tunable.

I did this by attaching USB drive to a virtual machine (I've used VirtualBox) and installing FreeNAS inside VM to this drive in a VM first. Then I booted the VM from this USB drive and created a loader tunable xhci_load with value set to YES. Then I was able to plug it into my N3150-ITX machine and it booted correctly, the keyboard worked as well.

I did not do anything beyond booting so I can't tell if this setup will work, I'll configure the rest over the weekend and start using it for my daily work to see if it's working reliably.

I've just managed to boot FreeNAS on ASRock N3150-ITX motherboard, the solution is actually right in the manual, FreeNAS has to be booted with xhci_load tunable.

I did this by attaching USB drive to a virtual machine (I've used VirtualBox) and installing FreeNAS inside VM to this drive in a VM first. Then I booted the VM from this USB drive and created a loader tunable xhci_load with value set to YES. Then I was able to plug it into my N3150-ITX machine and it booted correctly, the keyboard worked as well.

I did not do anything beyond booting so I can't tell if this setup will work, I'll configure the rest over the weekend and start using it for my daily work to see if it's working reliably.
Thanks a lot for the solution, ive thought about installing the OS via a VM on the USB first but never got the chance to try it myself, so thanks a lot for proving that it works. Not sure what your saying about the loader tunable xhci_load ? could you help out on where I could access those settings?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

darioml

Dabbler

Hi,

I cannot boot the FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201509022158 in my new NAS: Asrock N3150-ITX, 8 GB RAM. Latest BIOS P1.30.

I tried two different approaches, with two different pendrives of 2 and 8 GB:

1. I burn the .iso in an USB pendrive with Win32DiskImager. I turn on the NAS with it. I select the boot device as the USB pendrive (BIOS mode), the screen becomes black and nothing happens. The GRUB menu does not appear. If I choose instead the UEFI option, then, the screen comes back to the "select boot device"...

2. Then, I tried the way you gave here: In VirtualBox, I installed FreeNAS in the USB pendrive. Later, in another VM, I booted it up. From the GUI, I createad a loader tunable xhci_load with value set to YES. Then, when I plugged the pendrive in the NAS, and booted it up, the screen became black, nothing appeared or happened. But, if I plug it in the VM, it works perfectly, the GRUB menu appears and it starts normally.

3. Just to test if the NAS could boot anything from an USB, I burned the OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-5.95.5.img in a pendrive and it worked perfectly, both in BIOS and UEFI modes.

So, what could be happening? Why not even the GRUB menu appears?

Are you booting the pendrive in BIOS (legacy) or UEFI mode?

Thanks!

gpsguy

Back on 8/22/15, in the 9.3 documentation it was there - "1.3.2 Compact or USB Flash". With 9.3.1, the "What's New in 9.3 was removed" and the section numbers changed slightly.

Ca n'existe pas. There is no section 1.3.2

darioml

Dabbler
Hi.

I have tried more things:
  • FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201509282017 -> In N3150-ITX it does not boot up. No GRUB menu. It works perfectly in a VM (VirtualBox). Tuneable: xhci_load to YES.
  • FreeNAS-10.2-ALPHA-201510091516-bf6797e-x64 -> In N3150-ITX it does not boot up. No GRUB menu. It works perfectly in a VM (VirtualBox). Tuneable: xhci_load to YES.
  • gparted-live-0.23.0-1-i586 -> It boots up and works perfectly
  • memtest86-usb 6.2 -> It boots up and works perfectly. All tests were successfull.
So, I guess it is something related to Legacy (BIOS) booting up mode and/or incompatibility with USB 3.0 (but I'm always using USB 2.0 pendrives).

Could anybody tell me how to solve it?

Thanks!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

darioml

Dabbler
OK, I assume your problem is not related to this? I can't imagine you wouldn't have searched the forums and not found this...

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?posts/180710/

Hi.

I found that thread, but I think it is not related to my problem.

My problem is that the USB pendrive (in fact, three different ones plugged to USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports) does not boot at all. Just after the BIOS Splash screen (the one saying press F2 to enter Setup, F11 to choose boot device, etc), the screen becomes black and nothing happens. The GRUB menu does not appear (where you can choose the different FreeNAS installations you have). Therefore, I do not reach the mountroot point, mainly spoken about in that thread.

For the moment, no FreeNAS image I tried booted up in the NAS, but perfectly in Oracle VM VirtualBox. However, other things (OpenElec, GParted and MemTest86) boot from the same USBs in the same HW without any problem.

I guess there is an obscure issue with the way FreeNAS boots up from USB (GPT under BIOS Legacy mode, isnt' it?).

Thanks.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Ah yes, you're right. You are experiencing a different problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.