failed with error 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokey1856

Cadet
Hi
I'm new to the forum, but have had a freenas system up and running for a few years now. I just recently built a second machine for backup of my really critical files.
I'm purchased a different motherboard than I had in the first one, which seems to have been a big mistake.
I'm unable to get FreeNAS to install. It keeps getting hung up with an error 19

My build is:
-SuperMicro A1SRI-2758F motherboard
-SuperMicro 8GB 1600Hz DDR3 SODIMM DR x8 ECC memory (2 sticks)
-(6) WD red 4 TB hard drives
-16GB usb stick (i tried SanDisk and PNY to see if the stick was the issue)

I get part way through the install and it hangs at:
mountroot: waiting for device /dev/iso9660/FreeNAS...

After a minute or so, it gives me (screenshot of error is attached too):
Mounting from cd9660:/dev/iso9660/FreeNAS failed with error 19.

I've done my best to research and google the issue, but haven't found a fix. From what I understand, this error suggests that the system can't see the USB stick at this stage for some reason. It had to see it at some point or else I wouldn't have been able to get this far. A lot of the solutions I have seen say to disable XHCI and/or fast booting, which I have done. I tried all combinations of XHCI on/off and fast booting on/off.

I also saw solutions that said the USB stick was bad. I tried 2 different SanDisk sticks and one PNY stick (each 16gb). No luck. And I was sure to have them in the USB 2.0 port.

I'm really at a loss. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20171103_122633.jpg
    20171103_122633.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 315

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Try this just for grins and giggles;
place your install usb drive (with your iso image) in the Type A header port
on your Mobo, and your thumb drive you are installing to into one of the
two available USB 2.0 ports on the rear I/O

If this works and you get to the reboot stage at the end of the installation,
choose shut down instead.

Once shut down, simply remove the install usb from the motherboard
and plug in the USB drive from the back port, into the on-board port and boot up
the server.

Last edited:

Pokey1856

Cadet
Thank you so much. Got me a step closer. And has stopped me from completely pulling my hair out.

Ironically the only USB header I have directly on the motherboard is listed as a USB 3.0 and everything I was reading said that only USB 2.0 would work for the install.

Anyways, I plug the USB stick with the iso directly into the board and plugged my blank USB and USB keyboard into the two available external USB 2.0 slots. When I do this, I'm able to get to the FreeNAS install screen. Huge success there! Haven't gotten that far yet.

However when i choose the install option and get the list of available drives to install to, my blank USB stick is not listed. I just have my (6) 4TB drives listed.

Any advice on where to go from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.