Cant access FreeNAS from Win XP machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie200112

Contributor
Have an old testrig I still use for old XP games. But canot get access to my freenas. I am able to see it in my workgroup computers, but when I click on it it sends back an error message saying I don have access.

I have password access in freenas turned off, and all my Win 10 machines access the freenas just fine.
Any Ideas?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Try setting, in the SERVICES->CIFS menu, Server maximum protocol: SMB2.

See if that helps. You probably also want "allow guest access" checked, as well as "allow only guest access" checked.

eddie200112

Contributor
Smb2 was already selected but now none of my computers can find the free Nas on the network. So that's also 3 windows qp machines. They all worked a week ago. Did some buggy windows update roll out. I had to make a new home group as all my pcs were no longer in one. So now idk what to do. I can still access the Web gui from all computers. My user group is winusers aND my user name is EJ in the freenas. However one win 10 pc is uses my Microsoft account name and one uses the login name EJ but neither work to get on the nas.

eddie200112

Contributor
My nas domain is "local" while all my pics have the standard WORKGROUP workgroup. Not sure if that matters.

Also I'm no IT pro so keep that in mind thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your minimum needs to be SMB1 (or older) as XP has no support for SMB2+. Not sure if that is your problem or not...

eddie200112

Contributor
OK currently my minimum is set blank. So ill change it to NT1 and see if that helps with the XP machine however I'm still stumped with why my Win 10 machines to longer see the freenas under network.

eddie200112

Contributor
Post contents of /etc/local/smb4.conf
Sorry probably dumb but is that on the freenas? I cant access the files yet if so.

eddie200112

Contributor
Heres my CIFS settings

Attachments

• CIFS p1.JPG
    CIFS p1.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 437
  • CIFS p2.JPG
    CIFS p2.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 447

eddie200112

Contributor
Do you think that changing the workgroup in free Nas from WORKGROUP to something else and then back to WORKGROUP again might trigger it to show up in my windows 10 network places.

eddie200112

Contributor
Should I change my CIFS to SMB3_00 ? since I'm mostly on windows 10 machines.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Should I change my CIFS to SMB3_00 ? since I'm mostly on windows 10 machines.
I think the wisdom on the street is to stick with SMB2.

eddie200112

Contributor
ok ya it didn't solve my problem anyway ill go back to SMB2

eddie200112

Contributor
So never did get this figured out but had some new thoughts. Ive read some people having similar issues not being able to access a network share on a win 7 or 8 machine with a win XP machine, have said you need to change the XP machines node to broadcast instead of peer to peer. But I tried that an assuming I did it right it didn't work.

So to reiterate the problem is that I am able to see the FreeNAS share under "Network places' and then in my workgroup. However, when I double click on it to open it I get the message "\\Freenas is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Logon failure: account currently disabled." And that's as far as I can get. (picture included)

I am able to access my Freenas Share without any trouble on 3 separate windows 10 machines .

The user name on my XP machine is EJ
The user name on my win 10 machine is my Microsoft account email and password

Ive also included images of my Group, User, and CIFS settings.

Thoughts..
Does having Microsoft account selected in the user settings an issue?

Thanks for any further help everyone. My networking knowledge is my weakest area so any 20160820_225750.jpg Group.JPG USER 1.JPG USER 2.JPG CIFS 1.JPG CIFS 2.JPG help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.