SMB Share Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobant

Cadet
Hi,

Had FreeNAS for a while, recently upgraded from an old 9 version to 11 (https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/upgrading-from-9-2-to-11.57923/#post-408551).. but I have a hopefully simple problem persisting.

I have a SMB share set up with 'allow guest access' ticked. All my other devices in the house can access it, except my main PC (windows 10), which always gets asked for a password. All on the same network, can talk to each other, have file sharing turned on and other win 10 PCs can connect fine.

Any ideas? Sorry if this is not enough information to help diagnose, please let em know what else I need to post and I will happily do it!

Thanks,

C

nojohnny101

Wizard
Well just from your short description, it seems that the problem is with that Windows machine, and not FreeNAS. What I would do is create another user account on that machine, login in as that new user, then try to connect. If that works, then it is a problem with your current windows account.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Try entering "guest" as the username, with no password.

Grimm Spector

Explorer
I'm having a similar issue where sometimes some systems can't access the share at all, though it's setup to allow guests. It doesn't even request credentials, it simply says permission denied whenever I try to write to the share.

JohnL7

Dabbler
If you have more than one share and something like a batch file or GPO that maps drives for you, those credentials will be used to make the connection. If your attempting to access a new share from the same device then the previously used credentials will take precedence over a guest account.

Grimm Spector

Explorer
If you have more than one share and something like a batch file or GPO that maps drives for you, those credentials will be used to make the connection. If your attempting to access a new share from the same device then the previously used credentials will take precedence over a guest account.

That may explain one of the systems, but a system that’s never access it is just given an access denied message when trying to write instead of asking for credentials. The freenas GUI settings suggest that should be otherwise.

JohnL7

Dabbler
That may explain one of the systems, but a system that’s never access it is just given an access denied message when trying to write instead of asking for credentials. The freenas GUI settings suggest that should be otherwise.

Well the default permissions are set as the Nobody user if you have guest access enabled which may not give you permissions needed to access anything. This will especially be the case if you have setup additional permissions using either freenas based users/groups or Windows permissions added to the shares.

Grimm Spector

Explorer
Well the default permissions are set as the Nobody user if you have guest access enabled which may not give you permissions needed to access anything. This will especially be the case if you have setup additional permissions using either freenas based users/groups or Windows permissions added to the shares.
In theory having the group set to my domains “domain users” group should mitigate all of that. Yet on some systems sometimes it doesn’t. It’s very odd. And that’s just with win clients. Once I throw a Unix system in and try to do it by GID ... well that part just won’t work at all. I’ll have to find some other work around.

Status
Not open for further replies.