SOLVED Cannot open CIFS share from windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvin

Explorer
Since you don't use it, have you tried disabling the Active Directory service? Also, you can check the files in /var/log/samba4 for clues. That would be the first place to look.

Varroa

Dabbler
Since you don't use it, have you tried disabling the Active Directory service? Also, you can check the files in /var/log/samba4 for clues. That would be the first place to look.

How? I can't figure out how to disable it, there doesn't seem to be an option in the gui to do that.

Varroa

Dabbler
Well, this is getting to be WAY too much work. I wanted a easy replacement for my WHS box but if I have to set up a domain or edit my security policies for each PC in my house then I don't think this is the NAS for me. I have way to many PCs and to many re-installs/updated/etc to have to be doing this just to get it to see a network share. I know it is probably something on my network that is causing the issues but everything else I have tried has always worked including basic NAS devices. I think I am going to step back and do more reading.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
The way I understand the documentation, FreeNAS can be set up to be a client of a directory service, rather than to be the provider of a directory service. In other words, there is no Active Directory service to disable.

Varroa

Dabbler
Ok, so WHY can the PCs on my network see it when browsing for network clients but none of them can connect (either via IP or via network shares)? I am completely at a loss at this point.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I assume you're logging out on each PC each time you try a different configuration in FreeNAS? Windows caches shares so you have to force it to forget what it saw before.

So, just to be clear, you browse to the NAS in Windows Explorer | Network and you see something like this:
visible.png

Then you double-click it and you see something like this:
login.png

but when you enter the triple-checked user name and password that you configured in FreeNAS for the owner of the share, it doesn't open?

If so, I'm also at a loss, sorry.

NickB

Dabbler
When cifs is configured for Guest, and the permissions allowing guest read, Windows should automatically connect. Once it does, as guest, you shouldn't be able to modify or add files.

I'm using with Windows 7 without any issues. Also have tested connecting from sever 2012.

In your cifs settings, select the check box next to your ip (1.45) and restart your cifs service.

And are you using username and password when logging into your Windows machines?

NickB

Dabbler
And try using the map drive tool, rather than just browsing via explorer. Then, specify the name as 192.168.1.45\varroa (change to match your FreeNAS server ip).

Map drive tool can be found by right clicking computer, map network drive.

Varroa

Dabbler
Yes, I have tried logging out/back in on my windows PC after making changes (I have to since the NAS usually disappears after I make a change).

I don't have guest currently configured but I have in the past with no luck. I will give it a try again.

I have tried binding the IP to my NAS but I will try again.

User name password for my Windows PC is different than the share owner but I make sure to select "use different credentials" when trying to map the drive.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Have you tried simply connecting to the share instead of mapping it as a drive? I don't know why it would make a difference, but I never bother mapping shares as drives so that's another difference between what's working for me but not for you.

Varroa

Dabbler
Have you tried simply connecting to the share instead of mapping it as a drive? I don't know why it would make a difference, but I never bother mapping shares as drives so that's another difference between what's working for me but not for you.

Yes, I have tried both methods hundreds of times now.

Varroa

Dabbler
mapping.jpg network.jpg

Here is what I get when I try to map the drive or when I try and just browse to the share (this after enabling guest and binding the server to the server IP).

Alvin

Explorer
How? I can't figure out how to disable it, there doesn't seem to be an option in the gui to do that.
Yes, there is. It's called "Domain Controller". Go to Services and you'll see it.

Varroa

Dabbler
Yes, there is. It's called "Domain Controller". Go to Services and you'll see it.

Yes but that only give you the option of changing it to another service, not disabling it.

Yes the time on the NAS and my PCs are the same.

Varroa

Dabbler
Sorry, didn't realize you ment in the services. Yes that is set to off so I guess that is not the issue. Thanks

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Here is what I get when I try to map the drive ...
A common thread in my googling that error number and message is issues with security software and/or firewall. Some people also resolve it by enabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

Bobbyg387

Dabbler
I was having this issue as well. If I recall correctly, I think unchecking the 'apply default permissions" option in the CIFS share settings did the trick for me. I can't be certain this will work for you, but maybe it's worth a shot?

Varroa

Dabbler
I was having this issue as well. If I recall correctly, I think unchecking the 'apply default permissions" option in the CIFS share settings did the trick for me. I can't be certain this will work for you, but maybe it's worth a shot?

I'll try that tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.