SOLVED Cannot open CIFS share from windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varroa

Dabbler
Hi guys, this is my first post so be gentle. I am trying out freeNAS on some temp hardware as a replacement for my old Windows Home Server before I go ahead and install it on my main server. I have installed 9.3 and following the freenas tutorials on youtube to enable windows shares. I enabled cifs sharing and I can see the nas in my available network computers (i can also ping it AND I can connect to it with no troubles through my browser to the config page). The problem is, when I try and connect to the nas I just get a time out error or an error saying no such computer existing on the network. I have even tried to mount the share using the \\IP\share but I just keep getting the prompt for the user/password (which does not work).

The steps I have taken are:

Create a ZFS data set and set it as a windows share type (named as windows currently), changed permissions of the data set to give me ownership (also checked allow guest access). Then add Windows share (CIFS), pointing to the new windows ZFS data set. Enabled CIFS process. Server is also set to have a static IP through my Routerboard.

FreeNAS 9.3
Q9550, 8 GB DDRII, Asus P5Q pro motherboard, Intel PCIe NIC, 30 GB SSD for boot, 1 TB WD green for zfs volume.

Attachments

• debug-nas-20150307112541.tgz
    257.8 KB · Views: 239

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
When using the IP address, have you triple-checked the user name and password?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Can you post screenshots of the dataset permissions, the share settings (with advanced) and the CIFS settings?

Is Browsable to Network Clients checked?

What do you have set for the guest user? Does it have access to the share?

Have you tried with guest access disabled, or with only guest access allowed?

Varroa

Dabbler
Can you post screenshots of the dataset permissions, the share settings (with advanced) and the CIFS settings?

Is Browsable to Network Clients checked?

What do you have set for the guest user? Does it have access to the share?

Have you tried with guest access disabled, or with only guest access allowed?

Is Browsable to Network Clients checked? YES

What do you have set for the guest user? Does it have access to the share? Nothing set for guest but I did try a guest account in the past.

Have you tried with guest access disabled, or with only guest access allowed? Both

cifs1.png cifs2.png permissions.png shares1.png shares2.png

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Here's what I see when I compare my CIFS share, which works for my Windows 7 boxes and Macs, and yours. Anything I haven't mentioned matches with yours. I don't know enough to tell you whether any of the differences are significant.
  1. The name of my share is not the same as the name of the dataset.
  2. I am not allowing guest access.
  3. My workgroup name is consistent across all devices (obviously I don't know if yours is).
  4. My Local Master is unset.
  5. My Time Server is unset.
  6. My Hostnames lookups is unset.
  7. My Allow execute always is unset.
You did the right thing by posting your debug output in your original message, but unfortunately I'm not knowledgable enough to make good use of it. However, I noticed a lot of this:
Code:
STATUS=daemon 'winbindd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsGot sig[15] terminate (is_parent=0)

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Here are the options on my CIFS-shared dataset, and details of the user that owns it.
options.png
user1.png
user2.png

Varroa

Dabbler
Ok, looks like I have some work to do, I will do some work and get back to you guys tomorrow. Thanks

Varroa

Dabbler
Well the only thing I can't find is:

1. My Local Master is unset.
  2. My Hostnames lookups is unset.
Everything else is the same as yours now and still no-go.

Varroa

Dabbler
Ok, I found those last settings and still no-go. I even rebooted the server and nothing.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I'm running out of ideas. Probably time to examine your network for clues, but I won't be much help there. For instance, what if you connect a different machine to the port FreeNAS is using, can the other machines see it?

Varroa

Dabbler
Actually the other computer can see it now but I tried to connect from a Win 7 and Win 8.1 and neither can do it. I either get a "no such computer by that name error" when I try to just browse to the NAS or when I try to map the drive I just get an error "cannot map drive, \\NAS does not exist" or the user/password prompt just re-appears. I even just tried deleting all shares and mount points and starting from scratch and the same problem occurs.

Varroa

Dabbler
Ok, I am now wondering if maybe my Directory Service is wrong? It defaulted to Active Directory but I don't have any Active Directory servers on my network. I am running a mix of windows 7 & 8.1 (plus one Windows home server 2o11 which is based on Windows Server 2008) but everybody just uses basic network sharing and a standard "WORKGROUP" domain with no logins. The FreeNAS keeps listing it's name as "NAS.local" as well. So, am I doing something wrong with the network settings?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I don't have any experience of Active Directory, but if you have no servers configured it seems like it would make sense to eliminate that as a potential problem.

Varroa

Dabbler
Is there a way of not having any directory services and just configure it as a regular network share?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Are you referring to the tab labelled Directory Service and its sub-tabs? I've never touched anything in there, so I guess the answer is "yes".

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Funny (?) story...

The other day I was working with a client on setting up his new tablet, which runs Windows 8.1. I was trying to get his existing email account set up, but I couldn't figure out how to get past the "sign up for a Microsoft Account before proceeding" screen. A bit of Googling later and I discovered you can't without modifying the group policy security settings ... on a tablet.

Good grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.