SOLVED Cannot access shared drives or ping server hostname - help!

SamCam

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm new to FreeNAS and whilst being a newbie to networking I'm no idiot. I'm hoping a pointer here will help me out.
So I set up an old Dell optiplex with a 1TB HDD and FreeNAS. Initially really as a plex player and storage source for our smart TV but then I've started to look at using it to backup photos, videos etc from my Android device removing the need for Google backups.

I have looked for a couple of days around google and the forum and I'm stuck.

System Specs:
FreeNAS-11.2-U3
Dell Optiplex 780
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 cores)
8GB RAM
1TB Toshiba HDD
(anything else needed let me know)

So I installed FreeNAS without too much issue and installed the plex plugin, got that working, then installed the NextCloud plugin. At this point I figured I needed to move from DHCP to static IP allowing me to access the network from outside of the home.

I ran into trouble trying to change the plugins jail access from DHCP to static IP. When I removed the autoconfigure for IPv4 and set a static IP. The plugins confirmed the connection but I couldn't access the mangement console for either plugin through the GUI. I then tried to move back to DHCP connection. It was then when I was trying to find the new IP address I discovered that I couldn't ping the server using the hostname. The IP address responds when pinged, but it will not respond when the hostname is pinged. I also lost access to the shared drive I has setup with my windows laptop so I now can't move files to the server.

I have read a lot on the forums from people with similar issues and tried to resolve this myself to no avail. I ended up doing an update install from the FreeNAS install USB after saving my config file as I read this may sort out the issue as a last resort. But no, after the update the same issues, still can't ping the hostname and still can't access any shared drives (even after trying to setup a new shared drive unrelated to plex). When trying to connect to the shared drive windows tells me that the "network device is refusing the connection".

I would really appreciate any suggestions otherwise I will wipe the HDD completely and start again. I'd rather not do this as it would mean re-downloading all the media currently stored as I don't have enough spare storage to back it up before a clean install.

Thanks!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
At this point I figured I needed to move from DHCP to static IP allowing me to access the network from outside of the home.
and still can't access any shared drives (even after trying to setup a new shared drive unrelated to plex).
Are you able to access the FreeNAS GUI because you say you can't even ping it, but then you say you setup a new share.

SamCam

Dabbler
Yes, sorry if that wasn't clear. I can access the GUI and both Plex and NextCloud management interfaces.

SamCam

Dabbler
I tried to request new IP address for the NAS using shell command "service dhclient restart em0" after reading this might resolve the problem.
But this just timed out after sending multiple "DHCPREQUEST on em0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67" ending with "No DHCPOFFERS Received", "Trying recorded lease 192.168.0.102"

Also why can I not right click in shell and copy/paste as described in the User Guide?
Thanks,

Redcoat

MVP
Also why can I not right click in shell and copy/paste as described in the User Guide?

Where does the User Guide say that?

I tried to request new IP address for the NAS using shell command "service dhclient restart em0" after reading this might resolve the problem.
But this just timed out after sending multiple "DHCPREQUEST on em0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67" ending with "No DHCPOFFERS Received", "Trying recorded lease 192.168.0.102"

Do you have the DHCP server turned off/disabled for your LAN interface (in your router?

Also, do you have entries for DNS nameserver in FreeNAS and/or router config.

SamCam

Dabbler
Where does the User Guide say that?

https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2-legacy/shell.html - But I just realised google directed my query to the legacy GUI documentation. So maybe not applicable in this instance.

[/QUOTE]Do you have the DHCP server turned off/disabled for your LAN interface (in your router?[/QUOTE]

Checked the router and DHCP is enabled with FreeNAS visible as a client.

[/QUOTE]Also, do you have entries for DNS nameserver in FreeNAS and/or router config.[/QUOTE]

I have not added any entries for the Nameserver in Global config.
Could you clarify exactly regarding router config?

Redcoat

MVP
Could you clarify exactly regarding router config?

Your router configuration likely has a place for DNS entries - use 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 if there's nothing in there.

Put your gateway address in the nameserver slots in Global Config.

SamCam

Dabbler
Your router configuration likely has a place for DNS entries - use 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 if there's nothing in there.
Done

To be clear are you advising me to put my gateway (192.168.0.1) into "IPv4 Default gateway" or into the nameserver slots as I thought these slots are for DNS? If the former I have done this and I noticed the plex and nextcloud IP's have changed but FreeNAS is not not showing up on the DHCP client list...

SamCam

Dabbler
Okay I rebooted the server and it's changed IP and I think I follow you now. Add the DNS you provided into the nameserver slots.

SamCam

Dabbler
Okay so I've done this all and it's resolving the hostname pings and the SMB shares are now visible again. Thanks for your help.

One final question. Why would this have been working initially when I did a simple setup following the FreeNAS tutorial (which does not include the need to do this) but then stop when I'm trying to setup static IP's and require it to be entered to get it working again? Seems strange and I'm sure it would help me in the future to understand why this has happened. Cheers.

Redcoat

MVP
To be clear are you advising me to put my gateway (192.168.0.1) into "IPv4 Default gateway" or into the nameserver slots as I thought these slots are for DNS? If the former I have done this and I noticed the plex and nextcloud IP's have changed but FreeNAS is not not showing up on the DHCP client list...

I was away for a couple of hours - I actually did mean both.

I can't explain your experience - from what you wrote it seems like it should have worked, but I don't know anything at all about Nextcloud and how that would play in the overall picture.

SamCam

Dabbler
I was away for a couple of hours - I actually did mean both.

I can't explain your experience - from what you wrote it seems like it should have worked, but I don't know anything at all about Nextcloud and how that would play in the overall picture.

Cheers for your help.