Remote Server Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris417

Cadet
Hello all,

Well this is the story, I'm going into my final year of University and I need to have back-ups of my work because I was a victim of hardware failure during my 2nd year.

So anyways I've setup the FreeNAS for internal and external use. The internal access works great, but I'm going to be travelling but I need to have external access. But when using externally I cant get access to the server I've setup.

My external IP is static, I cannot ping it, scanning all ports has resulted in time outs. I phoned my ISP and they said they cannot change any settings :(. But where I'm located the range of available ISP's is poor for speed and price, so cant really change.

My ISP uses a Antenna design, that requires my router to use a internal IP to connect to their main receiver Antenna, and this connection is shared 48 to 1. Each person connected gets their own unique external IP, so i don't see that being the problem. More about their networking solution.

So any advice on this problem would be greatly appreciated :)

Regards,

Chris :)

ProtoSD

MVP
Thread moved from Sharing to Networking.... Doesn't seem like a FreeNAS issue. :confused:

Stephens

Patron
It depends what you're trying to do. What type of remote access? Web GUI? SSH? FTP?

Do you know how to do port forwarding in your router?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Without knowing anything about your ISP, I can make some general comments:

1) For any wireless ISP, they are generally going to dislike or discourage any use of the Internet for batch data transfer. Your usage affects the other users.

2) I'd be skeptical that you're getting your "own unique external IP". It's certainly possible, but throwing you all behind a NAT engine allows you to share a single IP. If they're being evasive on how to change settings relating to your use of that external address, the likely answer is that it is your carrier's NAT. Regardless, it's clear that you need to establish whether or not there's a way for you to be able to acquire an inbound connection. Do you know if UPnP (IGD protocol, etc) are supported?

3) The possibility of VPN-based access also exists.

chris417

Cadet
Thanks for the quick replies. @protosd sorry about putting it into the wrong section

@Stephens Yes i know how to port forward and my router has been setup for port forwarding, and no luck with that for external access. I have tested it by not port forwarding anything and I don't get internal access, so its working for that. Also I have a feature on my router (DMZ) which allows me to specify one computer on my network to be placed outside of the NAT firewall, with that on or off doesnt make a difference.

Also when i got the server setup i was watching my routers security log and nothing showed up that was being blocked, so any external access isn't even reaching me so thats why i think its the ISP.

@jgreco My ISP is generally easy going for data transfers because they monitor each person and i know that people downloading and they have to know that also. But what you said about being skeptical about the unique IP, that's interesting but i have no way of knowing because they don't give out information like that, for what your asking about. :(

The VPN I don't know anything about, but if i'm willing to give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.