Add a new physical HDD to my existing system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepak Agarwal

Explorer
Hi Everybody

I haven't yet built my new system but in the meanwhile I have bought an additional HDD (currently blank - haven't even formatted it yet - just added to the computer) which I want to add to my existing system running 9.1.1. Do I need to use 'Auto Import Volume', 'Import Volume' or use 'ZFS Volume Manager' to add this disk to my system so that I can create a new Windows share - this new share needs to be totally independent of the existing Windows share which is for the existing HDD?

I did read up on the documentation but am not totally sure which option do I need to take because the existing share has data on it and I don't want to loose/corrupt it. This is the bit that confuses me :-

"The Add Volume button warns that creating a volume destroys any existing data on the selected disk(s). In other words, creating a new volume reformats the selected disks. If your intent is to not overwrite the data on an existing volume, see if the volume format is supported by the auto-import or import actions."

In my case, since this is a new disk (unformatted) I can afford to loose everything on this disk but not on an existing volume which is on another physical HDD. In this case, can I safely click on the 'Add Volume - Existing Data Will Be Deleted" button and expect to add a new volume on which I can create new shares without affecting anything on my existing volumes and shares

Best regards

Deepak

joeschmuck

Old Man
You need to create a new pool. Go to ZFS Volume Manager an enter a different pool name than the one you already have established. Create the pool of one drive. Now you will have a single drive ready to do as you will. Do not Extend your volume, if this drive fails for any reason, all your data will be lost! Do not do this.

Deepak Agarwal

Explorer
Hi joeschmuck

I was a bit apprehensive doing this as when I went to do it, I had the two options viz to click on 'Add Extra Device' or 'Add Volume - Existing data will be cleared'.

I clicked the 'Add Volume - ...' and it seems to work ok!

Thanks for your help!

Best regards

Deepak

joeschmuck

Old Man
No problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.