Adding/Replacing a HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe S.

Dabbler
Hi all,

Some years ago I set it up for a client the FreeNAS 8.2 with 4 of 1TB Seagate HDD in raidz1. One of the HDD failed and I removed before set it to Offline for replacement, therefore I do not see it on the list in "Volume Status". The raidz1 is degraded. I installed new 1TB SSD and it appears as "OFFLINE" with the name as "gptid/4fb...84" (pic1). I'm planning to replace all 4 HDD, but first I need to fix the raidz1. The button "Replace" giving me an error "...invalid vdev specification, use '-f' to override..." I tried to do zpool online or replace in the shell, but I guess I do not exactly know what is "pool" and "dev" because whatever I used it gave me an error. The "Alert System " is telling me to use "zpool online or zpool replace". I was unsuccessful there... So, now I'm trying to extend the volume through "Volume Manager" (pic2), where I can set the ZFS Extra I guess as "Spare", but when I select the disk (pic3), the selection for ZFS Extra will disappear. Maybe a Bug...

Now comes the questions:
(1) If I will click on "Add Volume" to extend existing "data" volume, will it add the disk correctly into my raidz1?
(2) I'm assuming that it will clear data only on the added new disk and not on whole "data" volume. Correct?
(3) If this isn't the way to do it, what are the correct steps?

Thanks for helping!

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 402
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 375
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 377

Joe S.

Dabbler
Thanks for so quick response. So, what should I do at this point then?

danb35

Hall of Famer
The problem with using the Volume Manager is that it will not replace a drive; it will instead add the drive to the pool. You'll then have a (say) three-disk RAIDZ1 striped with a single disk, and if the latter fails, you'll lose all your data. I know that recent versions of FreeNAS have warnings to try to prevent this, but I'm not sure that 8.x does.

As to your actual problem, it's hard to tell from what you've posted. What's the output of 'zpool status' from the command line?

Joe S.

Dabbler
The problem with using the Volume Manager is that it will not replace a drive; it will instead add the drive to the pool. You'll then have a (say) three-disk RAIDZ1 striped with a single disk, and if the latter fails, you'll lose all your data. I know that recent versions of FreeNAS have warnings to try to prevent this, but I'm not sure that 8.x does.

As to your actual problem, it's hard to tell from what you've posted. What's the output of 'zpool status' from the command line?

Here is the zpool status...

Attachments

• pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 377

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'd try zpool online. <pool> is the name of your pool, which is "data". <device> is the device you want to online, which appears to be /dev/gptid/4fbf...

Edit: and if that works, try rebooting the system so that the GUI will follow what's happened.

Joe S.

Dabbler
I'd try zpool online. <pool> is the name of your pool, which is "data". <device> is the device you want to online, which appears to be /dev/gptid/4fbf...

Edit: and if that works, try rebooting the system so that the GUI will follow what's happened.

getting a warning: device '/dev/gptid/4fbf32e6-5e70-11e6-ae60-8c89a511fb84' onlined, but r
emains in faulted state
use 'zpool replace' to replace devices that are no longer present

Joe S.

Dabbler
getting a warning: device '/dev/gptid/4fbf32e6-5e70-11e6-ae60-8c89a511fb84' onlined, but r
emains in faulted state
use 'zpool replace' to replace devices that are no longer present
:

zpool replace -f data /dev/ada3p2 /dev/gptid/4fbf32e6-5e70-11e
6-ae60-8c89a511fb84
cannot open '/dev/gptid/4fbf32e6-5e70-11e6-ae60-8c89a511fb84': No such file or directory

Joe S.

Dabbler
:

zpool replace -f data /dev/ada3p2 /dev/gptid/4fbf32e6-5e70-11e
6-ae60-8c89a511fb84
cannot open '/dev/gptid/4fbf32e6-5e70-11e6-ae60-8c89a511fb84': No such file or directory

after reboot getting warning:
  • WARNING: The volume data (ZFS) status is UNKNOWN: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.

Joe S.

Dabbler
after reboot getting warning:
  • WARNING: The volume data (ZFS) status is UNKNOWN: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.

zpool status giving me:
attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
see:
scrub: none requested
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKS
UM
data ONLINE 0 0
raidz1 ONLINE 0 0
ada0p2 ONLINE 0 0
ada1p2 ONLINE 0 0
ada2p2 ONLINE 0 0
gptid/1a62b02d-5f01-11e6-8764-8c89a511fb84 ONLINE 0 0 1.2

errors: No known data errors

trying to replace -f:

zpool replace -f data /dev/ada3 /dev/gptid/1a62b02d-5f01-11e6-
8764-8c89a511fb84
invalid vdev specification
the following errors must be manually repaired:
/dev/gptid/1a62b02d-5f01-11e6-8764-8c89a511fb84 is part of active pool 'data'

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
At this point it appears that the drive is online. Try running a scrub and see what it says. 'zpool scrub data'. Expect it to take several hours.

Joe S.

Dabbler
At this point it appears that the drive is online. Try running a scrub and see what it says. 'zpool scrub data'. Expect it to take several hours.

after reboot, status shows all ONLINE but log giving me some checksum mismatch (pic5) and warning says:

The volume data (ZFS) status is UNKNOWN: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.

should I zpool clear?

Attachments

• pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 386

Joe S.

Dabbler
zpool clear didn't do anything and scrub didn't report anything either, but status is now saying:
scrub: resilver in progress for 0h0m, 0.50% done, 0h56m to go...
So, it sounds like it is on a good path now.

Joe S.

Dabbler
Sounds like it's making progress. See what it says in an hour or so.

I'll let the resilvering finish.

I'm still getting the checksum mismatch messages, though. In shell's zpool status it keeps raising the CHKSUM # in K, but resilvering stays on 104M after few refreshes within past 20 minutes (pic6). Is that normal?

Thanks for your help. I wouldn't get here without it.

Attachments

• pic6.jpg
    pic6.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 396
Status
Not open for further replies.