New to FreeNAS, add HDD to a volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vetting

Dabbler
I am new to FreeNAS, and want to know if this is correct. I am trying to learn FreeNAS. I plan to build a Nas for my home theater, to store my DVDs and BR (ripped from the original discs).

I want to go into my mediaplayer and see on volume that is called "Movies".

Is it correct that the volume my mediaplayer shows as "Movies", is the zpool?

I have now 4 WD RED discs, ech of 3TB. And I want to add another 4 discs later on. Is it possible to make on zpool ("Movies") with vdev 1 - raidz1 (4 discs). And add to the zpool ("Movies") later on a vedv 2 - raidz1 (4 discs)? And this way add more storage to my "movie" volume?

RaidZ1 with four 3TB discs will leave me with 9TB and one disc can fail?

Sorry for my bad english, or if this is hard to interpret.

Best regards,
Øystein from Norway

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'd just add that what you'd see in your media player would be a share, which should be something other than the whole volume. If you follow the initial setup wizard in FreeNAS, it will create a dataset for each share you set up, which is a commonly-recommended configuration.

RAIDZ1 isn't really recommended any more with larger drives, as the possibility of an unrecoverable read error while rebuilding increases with the size of the disks. It depends on how critical the data is to you, though.

vetting

Dabbler
Is there a program I can download to test these settings? A vititual machine?

gpsguy

You might want to install FreeNAS as a VM for testing purposes. Many of use VMware products like ESXi, Workstation and Player. Just install it a new VM, choose FreeBSD, x64, and an 8GB virtual hard disk for your boot disk. I typically create several 30-40GB disks to emulate hard disks. Install the ISO onto the 8GB boot disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.