A weird problem when transfer file under FreeNAS 8.3 RC1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I have encounter a strange problem when I install Freenas and build volume today and I was wondering whether anyone could help me?

Here is my hardware:

MB:Asus P8H77-I
Ram: 2x8GB Kingston DDR3
HDD: WD Red NAS 3TB x 6
Power: Seven Stream 250w 80 plus bronze
case with 2x9cm fan.

The strange thing occur when I build a ZFS raidz1 or raidz2 using all 6 HDDs, volume will be degraded (the status will become yellow and it say unknown status for the volume) few seconds after file/folder transfering.

However If I remove any 2 of the HDD and build a volume with raidz1 or raidz2, the file transfer process was fine.

Another thing I tried is created 2 volumes with raidz1 (3 disks each), the file transfer was fine if you transfer a file/folder to one volume at a time.
If you transfer files/folder to both volumes at the same time, the volume using HDD port 5 and 6 will be degraded.
If you press restart/reset button, hdd in port 5 and 6 will dissapper in bios, you will do a full shut down to see both HDDs again.

Would it be possible that I need to upgrade my power supply?

Sorry for my english as I am not a native english speaker.

Thanks

Milhouse

Guru
Sounds like it's maybe a BIOS problem - are you running the latest BIOS for this motherboard (v0814, released on 3 October 2012)?

Also, is it always ports 5 & 6? What if you disconnect two other ports, say ports 3 & 4, but leave ports 1, 2, 5 & 6 connected - do ports 5 & 6 still disappear/degrade?

Are ports 5 & 6 the SATA3 ports (coloured grey on the motherboard, according to this page).

toddos

Contributor
I took a quick guess at what your system looks like here, and note the power calculation. It's possible that when your drives and fans and everything else are all powered up at the same time, your power supply just can't put out enough juice to make everything happy. I'd personally put a 350-450W power supply in there. You don't need to go overkill with a 1000W power supply, but I wouldn't be comfortable running that many drives plus everything else off of only 250W.

Hi All,

Thanks for your help, I have connected those hdds with a 430w power supply and it seems the problem was gone.

I also found out that my hdds power cable (which is 1 to 6 power divider connected to my 250w power supply) was sharing with a fan power cable. Once I removed the fan cable and the raid seems fine.
My NAS is running with read around 60MB/s and write around 95MB/s with ZFS raidz1!

Thanks again and FreeNAS is great!

Status
Not open for further replies.