UPS and future HDD adding on existing Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

tripialos

Dabbler
greetings

I need....again.. "your enlightenment" guys

1) I got a UPS (Branch in called, Guardian) for my just created FreeNAS, are the only UPS supported for freenas
the ones that are in the FreeNas web interface list?

2) For now, i just purchased a 3 TB drive with the thought that in about a year i will buy one more as a backup..
to operate as a RAID 1 with the existing hard drive. Will i be able to add the hard drive without the need to
reformat/create new volume? I am asking because when i saw the tutorial for creating a volume you need to have
already attached two hard disk drives in order to create a raid volume.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
You can add in another drive of the same size or larger to a single-drive pool to make it into a mirror. Right now this requires use of the command line. As long as you're aware that until then you will have no drive failure protection (of course) you shouldn't have any other issues. You CANNOT make anything other than a mirror from that setup (so no adding 2 more drives to make a RAID-Z).

jlpellet

Patron
Regarding UPS, note that despite the list of mfg, there are really only a few drivers & from my limited experience, one is likely to work but may take some trial & error. Also, in my experience, if an incompatible driver is selected, the log will show UPS not communicating. If the logs show communication, then you can test the shutdown. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.