SOLVED Adding a disk to a striped Zpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianwi

Guru
Since building my new FreeNAS system, I've been using the old HP Microserver as a backup running nightly replication. I have 7 disks (RaidZ2) in the new system, and only 4 in the HP box so this was set-up a stripe with no redundancy. It was over 80% full, so thought I'd add another disk and thought I'd be able to extend the pool without having to destroy and recreate it.

I've gone back to the manual and Cyberjocks presentation, and this seems to suggest this is possible, but through the GUI when I try to add the disk to the existing volume in Volume Manager it says:

Code:
You are trying to add a virtual device consisting of 1 device(s) in a pool that has a virtual device consisted of 4 device(s)

Do I need to do this a different way, or do I have to destroy the existing pool, recreate and then replicate all 14TB+ of data again?

Fully understand it won't have any redundancy, but it doesn't now. The redundancy is built into my main box which hopefully means I'll never need the backup!

adrianwi

Guru
Just noticed the Manual Set-up. This lets me selected the Zpool and new disk but I'm worried that clicking the button will wipe the Zpool and not just the data on the new disk :eek:

preview

download

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
removed.

adrianwi

Guru
Thanks!

All done and I'm back down to 70%, so have more space on my backup than main box which is good :D

Just noticed the Manual Set-up. This lets me selected the Zpool and new disk but I'm worried that clicking the button will wipe the Zpool and not just the data on the new disk :eek:

download

I have the same problem - and need help :). Is it possibly to add manually an extra disk to my striped volume without losing the entire data of it? Means "Existing data will be cleared" that the new disk is formatted? Or will i lose "Daten"?
My setup:
t4lo642e.png

to58nydu.png

Thank you in advance :)

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
The warning means that data on the new disk you are adding will be destroyed, not the Daten pool.

But this shouldn't be an issue, because if you are running in a stripe, you are prepared to recover from backups (like the OP), right? Because if any disk in the stripe fails, all your data is lost.

The warning means that data on the new disk you are adding will be destroyed, not the Daten pool.

But this shouldn't be an issue, because if you are running in a stripe, you are prepared to recover from backups (like the OP), right? Because if any disk in the stripe fails, all your data is lost.

Thank you for your hint! Your're right, i got backups (2 times) of the important data, nevertheless i want to avoid the days of copying it back to my nas :)

kubo6472

Cadet
So how, now I am using freenas 11 and got some like quite important data on the pool to which I want to add new disk, it allows me to do it on manual setup, but "existing data would be cleared" I can not afford to lose the data just by this mistake

danb35

Hall of Famer
If it's important data, you shouldn't have it on a striped pool in any event. But the "data will be cleared" refers to the disk(s) you're adding, not to the existing pool you're extending.

kubo6472

Cadet
If it's important data, you shouldn't have it on a striped pool in any event. But the "data will be cleared" refers to the disk(s) you're adding, not to the existing pool you're extending.
thx, really much, I know, but I need as much space right now while waitning on 10tb IronWolf which will replace all of my old disks and already got 2tb one but it is full. that one will act as backup one. I would probably just raid-1 it, I will later study how to do that. I know freenas only has an raid-z

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer

gpsguy

Status
Not open for further replies.