need to recreate current zpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suiname

Dabbler
I currently have 4 2TB disks in a zpool holding 1.8TB of data which I created incorrectly (it has no redundancy). I want to backup all 1.8TB of data in the current volume to somewhere (I have another 2 TB disk I can use for this), then destroy the current zpool, recreate it correctly with redundancy, then restore the backup of all 1.8TB of data to it. What is the best way to go about doing this? Can I just take a snapshot of the existing zpool, store it on my other 2TB disk, destroy the incorrect zpool, create a new zpool configured correctly, then restore from snapshot? Or do I need to rsync the data to the 2TB drive, destroy the incorrect zpool and recreate it, then restore the data via rsync again? Is there an even easier way to do this? I looked through the documentation and I understand how to create backups both with rsync and snapshots, but it's not obvious to me the easiest way to restore. Thanks in advance

joeschmuck

Old Man
I would not use a snapshot but RSync "should" be fine and then you could restore it after you recreated the pool you want. You could just do a simple copy of all the data too, that is what I do, even if it takes a bit of time. All you need to do is ensure all your data is preserved and you can restore it later.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I would avoid rsync. In testing with many TB of data for a migration I couldn't achieve more than about 25MB/sec. It appears to be CPU limited and single threaded. Copying to/from using a file share is likely MUCH faster.

Suiname

Dabbler
Thanks for the advice, Looks like I'll be doing a fileshare over gigabit Ethernet.

Status
Not open for further replies.