8.3 BETA3 pulled back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fracai

Guru
Last night I noticed that BETA3 files had been posted, though an announcement hadn't, and I upgraded through the GUI. Now I see that it's no longer available. Was this pulled back? I know it's a beta, but am I running something with a known critical bug?

fracai

Guru
And now I note that it's back up with a different SHA256. Was there a problem with the first release?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I just looked and the files are there. Strangely they are listed at <9 hours old. They should be over 24 hours old. Maybe someone moved them on accident?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It's not too unusual for small projects to roll a release, put it up, have key people run last minute tests, and then discover Something Stupid(tm), and re-roll the release. Finding the resources to operate a project like this can be a little difficult, and not every team has the resources (hardware, people, etc) to create a staging area for final distribution and testing, and stuff like that.

I would assume a last-minute "oops."

paleoN

Wizard
If you bothered to look at the commits you would know exactly why they re-rolled the release. FYI, they did it a second time. Wait for the announcement or at least take responsibility for yourself. What's more it's still a Beta so you should expect some bugs.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Honestly, I don't know how to look at the commits.. but I'd really like to know. I've tried searching around the ticket website, but I couldn't find anything. Where do I find info on the commits?

paleoN

Wizard

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I take it there's no list that provide a note of what the revision did?

For example...
12000 - Fixed 3Ware driver
12001 - Fixed bug with AD sync with Server 2008 R2
12002 - Fixed bug with Power Management

fracai

Guru
Gah, of course checking the commit log would have helped identify what was going on. I don't know why I didn't think to look there.
And of course I understand it's a beta and "take responsibility for myself", I state as much in my original post. I was just asking if there was a critical reason that it was pulled. Even after looking at the timeline and svn I'm not sure why it was pulled. I see that there a few actions on the BETA3 tag related to "too many fatal flaws", but that doesn't indicate what those flaws were.

Further, I can understand pulling a flawed beta, but putting it back up under the same tag and different hash seems broken to me. I've worked with a few projects that have no other way to check for a new release than by looking at the posted files. Changing the release like this is a stealth update and breaks consistency.

If I run into one of those fatal flaws and report it, it can be confusing to me and even the devs if the answer is that my checksummed beta isn't the same as your checksummed beta.

Now, this is a beta and there wasn't an announcement, so presumably it'd be a different procedure after the announcement or with the RELEASE.

And again, I'm not trying to argue that beta software is the same as release. I was just confused as to why the beta was pulled and the above goes in to explaining where that confusion came from on my part.

So, it'd still be helpful if someone could point out what those "fatal flaws" were/are, but yes, I understand it's a beta.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
If you look at immediately subsequent commits to the "Problems" message, you'll see what was being done to correct those problems, which should give you and idea of what they were.

In this case it looks like it was NFS issues.

fracai

Guru
Yeah, I saw the references to NFS. It wasn't clear to me if that was the only issue or not.

Thanks for looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.