11.2 VNET and Secondary NIC (plus Plex Oh my!)

bmp

Cadet
Hey all,

Ok before I jump down this rabbit hole here is the configuration

Freenas MINI XL Running 11.2-U2 (stable)
3 NICS
- igb0 - Primary Interface - Management \ file share etc, on network 192.168.51.x /24
- igb1 - Secondary Interface - Jails \ DMZ \ Other (may have VLAN in the future etc). on network 192.168.52.x /24
- IPMI - on same network as igb0 - static addressed, configured in IPMI interface to only use that NIC for IPMI, does not show as an available NIC in Freenas OS
One Plugin \ one Jail
- Plex - installed via wizard - Jail set to use NIC igb1 with static IP of 192.168.52.6 /24

Now this sucker ran fine on the igb1 network so long as I didn't enable VNET, with VNET on plex was (it appeared) going out the wrong interface \ was not responsive etc. This was pretty ok with me not running VNET at the moment because I am doing a POC for some media stuff and am controlling the network at the gateway either way.

Now with the last round of update I get an error about VNET being required. Ok fine so I go to try to make this work and no matter what I do aside from rolling it to DHCP and letting it use igb0 the dang jail and plugin never come back on line (I can start them just fine but cant get them to respond via network).

I assume this is because I need to configure VNET to use the DMZ NIC (igb1) but I cant seem to find anywhere with 11.2 to actually configure this. The settings in the jail (pic a NIC, set an IP) seem to do nothing if you enable VNET.

Admittedly I am new to VNET and new to freenas overall, but not that new to networking. (mostly firewall \ edge \ forensic response stuff in my tool bag)

So any ideas?? am I just missing something silly here or am I in for a deep dive?

bmp

Cadet
PS deleted and re-installed same issue, on initial install if I set IP's plex wizard to setup server wont run, now if I use DHCP I get a DHCP error... thinking this last update may have toasted my install perhaps?

Reactions: bmp

bmp

Cadet

pschatz100

Guru
You must enable VNET in the jail to access all Plex functionality, so this is something you will have to figure out in order to get full use of Plex.

The FreeNAS GUI doesn't expose all the options, but you can configure VNET by hand from the CLI. Read the iocage documentation to learn more about this. Just remember that any devices you bridge to have to be set up as part of the FreeNAS environment. If you search the forums, you might find somebody who already did something similar.

But my big question is "Why". What do you need to accomplish?

bmp

Cadet
You must enable VNET in the jail to access all Plex functionality, so this is something you will have to figure out in order to get full use of Plex.

The FreeNAS GUI doesn't expose all the options, but you can configure VNET by hand from the CLI. Read the iocage documentation to learn more about this. Just remember that any devices you bridge to have to be set up as part of the FreeNAS environment. If you search the forums, you might find somebody who already did something similar.

But my big question is "Why". What do you need to accomplish?

I will check out IOcage info been reading through it a bit, just have to figure out how to bind an interface and I think I will be ok.
As for the why well in a nut shell I have separate networks for different uses and restrictions. The primary network isn't eligible for multimedia applications the DMZ (not an edge DMZ) is. So some of the file share aspects of the NAS are on the primary network (LAN 51) multimedia is on (DMZ 52), fully routed firewalled networks, can't route from one to the other except through a FW. :) So it would be really helpful if everything didn't land on one NIC for me :)

bmp

Cadet
I did solve this sort of, the VNET is using bridge0 and my secondary NIC that holds the network of the address assigned to Plex and the Jail is not a member of that bridge. So I added it to the bridge manually with an Ifconfig <bridge#> addm <ethName> which worked fine until reboot. I have tried startup pre\post int and cron jobs to no avail. Cron will run it but I can't seem to schedule a @Reboot cron job that sticks.. I am going to try tunables but I have 0 experience with them so I am struggling a bit.