Would like feedback on hardware list please

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Went with one supplier to get it all on one list...
Wish List
Sorry about that... seems it will take some time to show up without being logged in:mad:
Fixed?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Note for this wish list()

This wish list is empty.

Doh.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Fixed

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Right OK, so I like it overall. It should be fine. I would mention 2 things (I'm mostly a bang-per-dollar shopper, so, I see some bang-per-dollar improvements):

1) You don't need that CPU cooler. The cooler's a nice unit, to be sure, but what comes with Intel CPUs should be adequate. In fact, I know it will be. It's just not necessary. I think it's just a waste of money to get an aftermarket cooler.

2) You might look at this power supply. It's exceptionally well-made, exceptionally-efficient, has lots of SATA power connections, and is cheaper than what you have, and supplies plenty of power for your 4x4TB drives:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104172
Nothing wrong with your supply though, but this is $50 less, and I think it's better or comparable. But..it's not modular.

3) (I know I said only 2 things) (Cyberjock, please don't kill me for this suggestion) If you've just got a setup for home media or something, you probably get away with 8GB here. That would save a lot of money. And if I'm wrong, you can easily upgrade. Your pool is going to be well less than 16TB or storage, right, because of the ZFS redundancy...so 16GB is possibly overkill...unless you envision a heavy use server or major expansion in the future. At 8GB, you're still more less obeying the 1GB per 1TB pool storage rule...more or less. And it would save a good bit of money.

jonnn

Explorer
Why not go with a haswell board? we are getting lots of confirmation of them working with FreeNAS. If you can't get it to work, you can always run zfsguru or NAS4Free

I was also going to mention that the PSU is overpowered. A 550 W could run 16 drives, even 24 drives with staggered start up. You want as low as possible to maximize efficiency at idle.

Are you sure you want full size ATX? These days you can get all you need in uATX or perhaps even mITX.

Also agree on the RAM. you can start with 8, then move to 16 if you have problems. I did some limited testing with 4x 3TB drives in RAIDz2 with 2gb and never had performance problems. Just had L2ARC disabled. Not that I am recommending this.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Why not go with a haswell board? we are getting lots of confirmation of them working with FreeNAS. If you can't get it to work, you can always run zfsguru or NAS4Free

I was also going to mention that the PSU is overpowered. A 550 W could run 16 drives, even 24 drives with staggered start up. You want as low as possible to maximize efficiency at idle.

Are you sure you want full size ATX? These days you can get all you need in uATX or perhaps even mITX.

Also agree on the RAM. you can start with 8, then move to 16 if you have problems. I did some limited testing with 4x 3TB drives in RAIDz2 with 2gb and never had performance problems. Just had L2ARC disabled. Not that I am recommending this.

Well, now you're just nit-picking his build. Obviously he knows what he's doing, since he came up with a solid build. He wants that board, and wants that CPU, and there's nothing wrong with either.

;)

But that *IS* two votes, sir, on downsizing the PSU. Let me tell you, that PSU I recommended, is just about the nicest piece of equipment on Newegg on a per-dollar basis.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
1) I was under the impression the CPU (Xeon) did not come with a heatsink & fan, good call.
2) But... it's not modular (it would cost me $50 to hack off all the cables I don't need off yours) just kidding:p
3) I'll get the max RAM, I don't want CJ to yell at either one of us :D

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Is that true? About the heatsink and fan? I mean, I've never bought one (Xeon) retail. Every other Intel CPU on the planet comes with a heatsink and fan. You better just make sure I'm not full of {feces}.

Dusan

Guru
The boxed Xeons (like the one on the list; part number starts with BX) come with heatsink & fan.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Yes, I confirm. "All Intel 'retail', boxed, non-OEM CPU SKUs come with heatsink and PWM fan".

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
*If you can't get it to work, you can always run zfsguru or NAS4Free*
*then move to 16 if you have problems*
*Not that I am recommending this*
My ego sir, is fragile. Try to make your comments a bit more positive lmao.

Just having some fun... appreciate your thoughts very much. I may cut some costs early just to get this project off the ground.
The comments so far have been worthy and well thought out, par for the course in these forums

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Is that true? About the heatsink and fan? I mean, I've never bought one (Xeon) retail. Every other Intel CPU on the planet comes with a heatsink and fan. You better just make sure I'm not full of {feces}.
Not this one
It's cheaper too :D

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Let me tell you, that PSU I recommended, is just about the nicest piece of equipment on Newegg on a per-dollar basis.
The dollar value is there, BUT power supplies are like underwear, user comfort and personal preference are more important than money,
Antec and I have a very long and storied history.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Someone warm up the electric chair....someone wanted to use only 8GB of RAM!

Ok, I kid. But I figure I've got a reputation to maintain.

8GB might be okay. I'd probably do 16 just to be safe.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi BigDave,

Here are my thoughts:

Why are you going with the desktop board? Why not go with one of the X9SCL or SCM boards woth IPMI?

The other thing is the choice of four 4TB drives. How do you plan to make your pool? Are you planning on doing raidz or r2? Given my choice I'd get 2 more drives & do a 6 disk raidz2. What are your plans for your existing filer?

-Will

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, I'd go with the X9SCM-F that is $40 cheaper, no audio so you don't have that power draw 24x7 forever, and has IPMI

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Why are you going with the desktop board? Why not go with one of the X9SCL or SCM boards woth IPMI?
The board I have listed has a newer chipset vs. the boards you mentioned, but I'll listen to your arguments as to why I'm better off with IPMI.
The other thing is the choice of four 4TB drives. How do you plan to make your pool? Are you planning on doing raidz or r2? Given my choice I'd get 2 more drives & do a 6 disk raidz2.
I'm picking out hardware, RAID array pros and cons are as yet, still a mystery.
What are your plans for your existing filer?
Are you talking about the box listed in my sig? I'll remove the drives and re-use them for sure. The rest will be donated.
Yeah, I'd go with the X9SCM-F that is $40 cheaper, no audio so you don't have that power draw 24x7 forever, and has IPMI
I was under the impression if the on-board sound was disabled in BIOS, that power and resources would not be used for it. If that's a
tall tale, then THAT IS a consideration.
8GB might be okay. I'd probably do 16 just to be safe.
No worries CJ, this student is NOT sleeping in your class. I'll be starting out with dual 8GB sticks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I was under the impression if the on-board sound was disabled in BIOS, that power and resources would not be used for it. If that's a tall tale, then THAT IS a consideration.

Most still get power to them and they sit idle all the time. They're just blocked from being detected by the system. Notice I said "most" but not all. There is probably some exception out there somewhere. The question is, do you want to take that risk? I just assume get the right parts for the job and be done with it. I don't want unnecessary hardware cluttering my board, I don't want those parts to fail and somehow make my system no longer POST when I don't even use it anway. I prefer the KISS(keep it simple stupid) montra, especially with machines that are going to be up 24x7.

I'd call your motherboard choice a very good choice, but I call my motherboard choice an optimal. It's cheaper and simpler. What more could you want?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I call my motherboard choice an optimal. It's cheaper and simpler. What more could you want?
I've heard you state that a server board doesn't have audio chips on-board, OK, I get it...
Does the board you're recommending need bios update for the v2 Xeons?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not unless it a pre-2.0 board. Mine was already the latest and its over a year old. So unless you get a board that has sat on a shelf for a very long time it should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.