BUILD New build -- Feedback please

Status
Not open for further replies.

JosB

Dabbler
In a previous thread it was pointed out to me that our current server (Dell R515, PERC 700) needs it's disc controller changed in order to avoid data corruption. I have already ordered the H200 and will flash it according to the instructions on this forum. Although this should work, I don't feel comfortable using it as the primary file server any longer and would like to replace it with a supermicro server as recommended by the experts of this forum. The idea is to buy two of them, one as a primary server, the other at a remote location and will serve as a replication target. We received a quote for the following configuration.
  • Supermicro Rack 2U / 2x 740W Redundant power supply / 8x 3,5 hot-Plug bays - CSE-825TQ-R740LPB
  • Super micro mb X10sll-hf (OEM, manufactered by Centrium)
  • Xeon E3-1220V3 3.1ghz (BX80646E31220V3)
  • 4x Kingston 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 ECC NON-REG Cl11 DIMM - KVR16E11/8
  • Disks: We'll reuse the disks we currently have (2TB, 7.2K SATA Enterprise disks, Seagate and Hitachi).
The motherboard itself is an OEM version of X10SLL-F, made by Centrium in Brazil. The difference being that it does not have a x8 slot (Confirmed directly with the manufacturer). The board only has 6 sata ports, leaving 2 bays unusable for now. That's alright, since we'll only use 6 disks per server anyway.

I'm aware of the Kingston RAM compatibility problems, but the servers will be acquired as a whole, so if the 32GB presents itself, it'll be a problem of the supplier. The manufacturer lists the RAM as supported on the product page.

I'd really appreciate comments on this build. Thanks in advance!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That chassis has a SAS backplane. I see no SAS on the motherboard, and you will need a low profile backplate for the H200. Alternatively you could simply buy a MB with SAS on-board.

Other than those comments, looks okay.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.