Hardware Feedback - Recently Built NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibby82

Cadet
Greetings! So this is my first post, but I've read quite a bit today, and gone through a few different iterations on my build already. I figured why not get some feedback, see if I'm doing OK.

• Asus M4A785-M
  • AMD Athlon II X2 245 2.9GHz
  • 8GB DDR2
  • Intel SASUC8I HBA/ LSI 1068 - JBOD
  • 4x Samsung HD103SI [5400RPM, 32M, 1TB]
  • 1x WD 36GB Raptor 10K [OS]
  • Antec Basic 500W
  • Intel GbE NIC

So far I've tried a 4x RAIDZ1 pool, which wrote like crap. So I did some reading and went with a 2x vdev mirror, striped [RAID 10]. That improved things a bit, but was still crappy. I also noticed a bit of intermittent behavior via CIFS - loss of connection, poor reads/writes, etc. This was while using the onboard Realtek. Read that Intel is preferred, so I grabbed a spare PCI-E NIC I had and installed it. That seems to be working better so far.

So that's where I am now - I plan to move an additional 4x Samsung HD103SJ [7200RPM, 32M, 1TB] over from my Ubuntu server.

This is a home box, used for storing backups, media, and docs/pics. I stream via TVersity to my PS3, and store all of my music there. Also redirect my My Documents & My Pictures to the network location. All of this is currently on a RAID10 or RAID 5 MDRAID via Ubuntu, which has great performance. I'm using that box for other things however (KVM virts, Ampache server) and need to separate the storage aspect. Hence this project.

So - any advice is welcomed. I do realize more RAM would help, but getting to 16GB via DDR2 is expensive ($300).

gibby82

Cadet
More info - still tweaking. So I've reinstalled on a USB stick this time, imported the volumes, and stuck my ZIL on the 10K WD drive. Not sure how much this will help, have yet to test. Just wanted to add the info just in case anyone wanted to comment.

BTW, what's the average CIF's transfer rate for 5400RPM volumes? I know it will be a range, but I just need info to gauge mine against.

bollar

Patron
I don't think a ZIL/SLOG will help in the scenario you propose.

If you're mirroring in raid 10, I think you should be able to get the max for the interface - something around 100 MBps.

Status
Not open for further replies.