With freenas can I mount my server as a network drive and access it over the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibnihtmus

Cadet
I'm planning on building a NAS. My goal is to store my music and documents on it. I have a music library and would like to keep it in one place where my desktop and laptops can share one library and keep them in sync. With freenas can I mount my server as a network drive on OS X and windows on a different network (not being at home)?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Not really, smb and NFS aren't designed to be used of a lan. You could create a vpn connection and make it work or you could use something like Plex, btsync or owncloud.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Right, just to augment what sweetandlow has said:

FreeNAS is intended to be a LAN network attached storage. It uses methods (like basically any NAS) like CIFS, NFS, what have you, that are generally not safe (nor intended for) exposure to the wider internet/WAN.

If your intention is to mount a network drive to your FreeNAS from elsewhere "out there", you need to figure out a VPN solution (non-trivial for most users that would ask the question you have asked), or one of the many remote ssh-based drive mounting techniques.

Either way, it's not novice-level stuff, and it is not the intended usage. FreeNAS is not a "cloud storage solution", as it were.

Status
Not open for further replies.