Syncing iTunes Folder to FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDubiousDubber

Contributor
So I'm wondering if anyone has any simple ways of syncing my iTunes folder to my FreeNAS server. I currently have my iTunes library residing on my server, but iTunes sucks as is, so having the library on a networked share causes crashes and other issues all the time. I've planned to move the library to a local drive on my mac, for stability, updating iPod, etc. However, I also want my library to remain on my server as I use Plex everywhere else. I would like to be able to listen to music through Plex in whatever room, without having to keep my computer on. Thus the need for two locations of the same library. So my question is, what is the best way to do this? I basically want the library folder on my server to sync with my local library anytime changes are made or music is added. Does anyone have any suggestions or simple ways of doing this? I found a few write-ups involving Automator and rsync, but not sure if that's the best way to go about it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So I'm wondering if anyone has any simple ways of syncing my iTunes folder to my FreeNAS server. I currently have my iTunes library residing on my server, but iTunes sucks as is, so having the library on a networked share causes crashes and other issues all the time. I've planned to move the library to a local drive on my mac, for stability, updating iPod, etc. However, I also want my library to remain on my server as I use Plex everywhere else. I would like to be able to listen to music through Plex in whatever room, without having to keep my computer on. Thus the need for two locations of the same library. So my question is, what is the best way to do this? I basically want the library folder on my server to sync with my local library anytime changes are made or music is added. Does anyone have any suggestions or simple ways of doing this? I found a few write-ups involving Automator and rsync, but not sure if that's the best way to go about it.
Rsync should work.

TheDubiousDubber

Contributor
I don't know a whole lot about rsync nor am I well versed in linux. I don't think I should have any issue setting up the rsync server in FreeNAS, but what is the best way to set up the rsync client on Mac. I understand there are GUIs for rsync on OS X. I also read something at some point about using Automator to do this? Just curious about what my options are and what may work the best. I'm hoping this will be a set it and forget it type of thing.

TexasEx

Dabbler
I just started having issues with iTunes as well over the past week. I had my library and all the music located on the server and I was experiencing long delays opening and closing iTunes. Is it just me?

This is what I saw during the last close of iTunes.

Dec 10 14:35:10 Heisenberg smbd[9063]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsworkstation (ipv4:192.168.1.68:50749) closed connection to service Heisenberg

Dec 10 14:36:10 Heisenberg smbd[9103]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsworkstation (ipv4:192.168.1.68:50757) closed connection to service Heisenberg

Dec 10 14:36:10 Heisenberg smbd[9124]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsworkstation (ipv4:192.168.1.68:50760) closed connection to service Heisenberg

Dec 10 14:36:10 Heisenberg smbd[9125]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsworkstation (ipv4:192.168.1.68:50761) closed connection to service Heisenberg

Dec 10 14:36:49 Heisenberg smbd[9126]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsworkstation (ipv4:192.168.1.68:50762) closed connection to service Heisenberg

Dec 10 14:37:49 Heisenberg smbd[9128]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsworkstation (ipv4:192.168.1.68:50764) closed connection to service Heisenberg

Dec 10 14:37:49 Heisenberg smbd[9335]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsworkstation (ipv4:192.168.1.68:50793) closed connection to service Heisenberg

Dec 10 14:37:50 Heisenberg smbd[9336]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsget_ea_dos_attribute: Cannot get attribute from EA on file ./..: Error = Operation not supported

TheDubiousDubber

Contributor
I just started having issues with iTunes as well over the past week. I had my library and all the music located on the server and I was experiencing long delays opening and closing iTunes. Is it just me?

I've always had issues with iTunes, but after moving my library to my share it began crashing far more than usual to the point of it being unusable. Apple does many things well, but iTunes is not one of them. Especially when it comes to handling larger libraries.

TexasEx

Dabbler
That might be the issue. My library is ~14k songs over 70 GB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krikboh

Patron
My library is 120 GB and stored on my NAS with no problems.

hervon

Patron
My library is 120 GB and stored on my NAS with no problems.

Same here : 51 GB from a mapped drive on FreeNAS. On hiccup.

TexasEx

Dabbler
Do you have the library file on the NAS as well? Or just the files?

hervon

Patron

TexasEx

Dabbler
I think part of the problem is loading the iTunes library file from the NAS. I am going to move the file back to the local machine and point to the NAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.