Wish to move folders on drive to Dataset Folder on same drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus33

Patron
Want to movie folder Bluray to Folder DATA (Dataset Folder) on the same drive.

I am aware this can be done easily enough through the shell but my linux is sadly out of date :(

Something that well work so quicj stopped by my lack of command skills..lol

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
so.... use any of the protocols to connect to the shares and move them...

CIFS
FTP
AFP
NFS
SFTP

Why are you making this more difficult than it truly is?

Also, using copy commands in shell is really easy

Code:
cp -Rpvu /path/to/source/files /path/to/destination/directory/

Magnus33

Patron
Copying through a protocols is fine for small shares but not good for ones that have gigs of media.

All give the copy common a try hopefully that works .

aselby1

Cadet
If your transferring a lot of data aren't all of those protocols going to transfer the information to the client then back to the server

Is there a simple way to move information from one location to another without using the shell command? Are any of those protocols smart enough to know that the information doesn't have to leave the server ?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I have used all the different protocols for doing such things, including just using the command line. Many times using just cut and paste in windows doesnt require copying to the client first. I have moved several GB of files in this fashion, and it takes merely seconds....

Magnus33

Patron
It would seem doing that causes the system to copy through the router rather then direct copy like it would for a drive in a pc.

Upside is its likely the safest method.

N00b

Explorer
I just wanted to confirm - in my experience using mv is not very useful when moving data between a folder and data set as the system copies data over to the file system (data set). It is not just as fast as moving data in the same file system. So I am still not sure what would be the best way to do it (I am faced with the same situation). Rsync gives me approx 15 -20 MB/s and I remember a few posts complaining about that somewhere. Is this what rsync can do best? I know it also depends on the metal you have and the pool. BTW, I am using 'W' as it is on the same machine or local 1G lan.

I was getting 65-55 Mb/s moving data from NAS to Windows machine using CIFS with lower write speeds ( I am using RAIDZ - I know :$ , but this was before I read the sticky). The speed has gone down recently though I still haven't figured out why.

@ pirateghost - cp -u option doesn't seem to be supported on a FreeBSD implementation. I checked the man page on FreeBSD.org website as well as my FreeBSD 9.1 Release-p6 machine since I don't have access to my FreeNAS box at the moment.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
rsync on the same machine works well in my experience. kick it off before i go to bed and wake up to all my files sync'd up....

In the amount of time you have spent looking for 'the fastest solution', you could have already copied everything over...

N00b

Explorer
@ pirateghost - I agree but "knowledge" is its own reward. :)

Could some one confirm my observation that moving data to a dataset takes longer than moving it in the same set or I am doing something wrong?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You haven't really indicated what exactly you are basing the speed off of. How do you know it takes longer? have you timed it? Do you have some experimentation data to back it up? Or are you just thinking that it would take much longer? I imagine it would take slightly longer, but you would need some evidence to prove it. Practice with some files and let us know the results.

N00b

Explorer
Here are the results :
The data-set
Code:
zfs list
NAME                     USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
rock                    4.36T   988G  4.07T  /mnt/rock
rock/others              279G   988G   275G  /mnt/rock/others
rock/syslog              341K   988G   192K  /mnt/rock/syslog

Two equally size folders (cp -r X x1 ; cp -r X x2)
Code:
[root@nbx /mnt/rock/Serials]# du -sh x1
3.4G    x1
[root@nbx /mnt/rock/Serials]# du -sh x2
3.4G    x2

Move x1 to parent (same set)
Code:
time mv x1 ../
real    0m0.043s
user    0m0.037s
sys    0m0.004s

Move x2 to data-set others
Code:
time mv x2 /mnt/rock/others/
real    0m39.179s
user    0m0.185s
sys    0m10.736s

The same tests repeated in csh as the output is different

Code:
time mv x1 ../
0.111u 0.007s 0:03.33 3.3%      16+180k 1+0io 0pf+0w

time mv x2 /mnt/rock/others/
0.127u 11.018s 0:40.89 27.2%    21+1507k 266+21io 12pf+0w

I am not familiar with the output of the time command under csh and if someone can point me in the right direction I'll appreciate it. Looks like it also give io and system process information. (man time doesn't tell me much!)

However the bottom-line is:
In the amount of time you have spent looking for 'the fastest solution', you could have already copied everything over...
No argument with that :smile:

Magnus33

Patron
Copying a folder into another folder on a computer hard drive should be near instant.

Copying or moving by a mapped network drive through say samba seems to do so through the router at normal transfer speed you get copying a file to the drive.
For large collections this can take hours but unlike commands in shell there no real risk.

Ahh well in my case its merely cleaning things up for the plex plugin along with install a cpu water cooler system.

Status
Not open for further replies.