Windows 7 Backup Space Management Issue (Credential Related?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyMonkey

Contributor
Hello,

I've been getting my server set up, and mostly things are going pretty well. Loving things so far. Having a somewhat strange issue which is likely something dumb (either related to permissions on the windows side or FreeNAS side), but I can't seem to figure it out.

I am running FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r12825), and have a 6 disk RAIDZ2, on which are several datasets.

One of these datasets is 'winbackups', and is meant to hold my automated windows backups from several network machines.

The 'winbackups' dataset is owned by user: 'nobody' and group: 'winbackups'. All permission mode checkboxes are checked, with the exception of other - write. ACL is UNIX.

The 'winbackups' group has in it a user with the same name and password as my windows7 account for the pc I am attempting to backup from.

A CIFS share of winbackups with the same name has been created, all boxes are unchecked in the share edit dialog except for show hidden files (checked) and browsable to network clients (checked).

I used a similar method to share several other groups/datasets/shares which my user has access too, and they all work well, as does this one for general access.

Everything worked peachy upon setup. My user on the PC can read/write/delete from the dataset, and has it mapped as a drive. I setup the Windows 7 backup and restore client to run backups to the location, and they worked great. I've since run two backups from my user account on the PC (one manual, one scheduled), and they worked.

The issue is as follows: In the Windows 7 backup and restore dialog (as shown below), it says "Backup size: Not available".

Dialog1.png

Upon clicking "Manage space", I see the following, showing my backup location as not accessible.

Dialog2.PNG

Upon clicking "Enter credentials", I get a standard windows credentials box, and nothing seems to work here to allow me to use the manage backup space features. I've tried my user name/password as entered in windows, my username with computer name, both of which just exits the dialog and returns me to the screen without any change, and I've tried things like \FreeNAS\Username which just repops the credentials dialog like it rejected the password.

Any help figuring this out would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryce

Caesar

Contributor
does it still look like this after a fresh reboot?

SkyMonkey

Contributor
Yes, it does. However, I believe I've solved the issue. Still unsure of the "right" way to set this up, but I'm working on it.

Changing the ACL to Windows and assigning my pc user login as owner of the winbackups group (which previously had 'nobody' for the owner) allowed the feature to work, and then I was also able to set the rest of the permissions for the winbackups group via windows.

Windows vs Unix ACLs are still a bit confusing to me, but I'm working on understanding the details and the "right" way to set this up.

Unfortunately, I think my ability to freely experiment is somewhat limited due to what I read here in the below threads/ticket - that moving the ACL from Windows back to Unix recursively can damage the ACLs to the degree where the only fix is to delete and recreate the volume(!). I really hope that means dataset if I'm only setting permissions on a dataset...

http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?11985-Permissions-will-reverse-back-to-755
http://support.freenas.org/ticket/1892

benji791

Dabbler
Hello,

Thanks for this post. It helped a lot. I had the same issue. Recreating the base backup directory with the same ownership as the user doing the backup worked.

Benji

Status
Not open for further replies.