New setup - Unable to login to CIFS Share from Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnear

Cadet
I've just set up a new FreeNAS system (my first) and am having some troubles with windows authentication.

Here's what I've done so far:
- Running FreeNAS 8.3.1 off a USB stick
- Mounted two 1TB drives as RAID1 UFS volume
- Created a new user "pnear" with a strong password
- Set "pnear" as the owner of the volume
- Created a CIFS share called "Pictures"

When configured to allow guest access, I can get to the share (so it's working at a basic level). I don't want guest access though, so turned that off and rebooted my Windows 7 machine. When I access the "Pictures" share now, windows prompts me for authentication. This is my work laptop, which is configured for a domain, trying to access a home share so understandably the domain login fails.

Here's the issue - I can't get any other credentials to work. I've tried freenas\pnear with the password and it fails, I've tried \pnear with the password and it fails.

I've read the CIFS docs, as well as any threads I've been able to find here, all with no luck. I noticed several references to datasets, but can't seem to find that in my setup. I'm guessing that's a ZFS feature and I'm using UFS due to memory limits on my system (2GB).

Any pointers on the next steps?

Thanks in advance, I realize this is most likely a noob issue so I put it in the noob forum.

-Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.