CIFS share - unable to login via hostname

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Naisbett

Explorer
I'm pretty sure I've found the answer elsewhere, but wanted to make sure I've not missed something.

Authenticated CIFS share, permissions so that the share owner matches my Windows account.

If I browse to \\IP\Share I can login fine

If I browse to \\HOSTNAME\Share it refuses to let me log in

I'm pretty sure this is something to do with Windows and NETBios, but is there a setting somewhere I've missed to make it work via hostname? Will post screenshots of share config when I get home!

Thanks,

Jack

D

dlavigne

Sounds more like a DNS issue. If there's a DNS server on the network, make sure it has records for the Windows and FreeNAS systems. If there isn't, make sure there are hosts records for each other system on each system.

Jack Naisbett

Explorer
Hi,

No there isn't a DNS server. Curiously I can browse to the share within the Network screen on Windows 10, it just wont accept my login. So DNS is sort of half working?

I'll try to add a hosts entry and report back

Jack

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Jack Naisbett

Explorer
It has DHCP reservation but as I understand it doesn't store that as a static ARP entry or anything.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Also, look under the CIFS Service - Advanced Settings:
  • Check the "NetBIOS" name you have set for the Service
  • Check the "Workgroup" you have set for the Service
When I attach to my CIFS Share, I can authenticate as either:
  • IP\UserName
  • HostName\UserName
  • WorkGroup\UserName
Also, if you could, please post the screenshot(s) of your CIFS Share and Service settings (Advanced for both)

Lastly, for the User Account you are trying to authenticate with... Do you have "Microsoft Account" Checked in their settings?
Per the manual:
Check this box if the user will be connecting from a Windows 8, 8.1, 10, or higher system

Jack Naisbett

Explorer
Off the top of my head...

NetBIOS matches the name of the freenas server (BROHOENAS)
Workgroup is WORKGROUP (matches my Windows PC)

I did tick the Microsoft account, and it was only when I did that that the IP login would work, still no dice with hostname.

Will post the screenshots as requested later. I don't know if it makes a difference, but the dataset for the share is Unix, as I also have an NFS share pointing to the same place. I have a sneaking suspicion that this might be why, though at work on an old Buffalo Linkstation its unix permissions but windows doesn't complain!

Jack Naisbett

Explorer
A few reboots later and it's working, I think unticking "apply default permissions" did the trick! thanks for all your help on this!

Status
Not open for further replies.