Cannot connect to SMB Shares with Windows 10 client

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthXavius

Cadet
I have been trying numerous how-to guides to connect to my FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3 server from my Windows 10 Home PC. I can see the server in the listed Network locations on the file browser in the windows 10 client, and trying to access the server named "NAS" brings up the Windows Security "Enter network credentials" window. As a Username I am entering "NAS\shares" which is a user I have created in the FreeNAS GUI with "Microsoft Account" checked and all permissions checked in "Home Directory Mode". I am entering the correct password, and have tried connecting on several other users I have including the "root" user. No matter what I attempt, the Windows Security window on the client states "The user name or password is incorrect." I have re-set up the volume permissions, Windows (SMB) share, and the SMB service multiple times on the Storage, Sharing, and Services section respectively on the FreeNAS web GUI multiple times to ensure they are correct.

I am not having this issue on a second Windows 10 Home PC that when I go to the Networks on the file browser, I can simply double-click the server and access everything that is in my shared volume. Anyone have any ideas? Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

mikensan

Dabbler
Did you give "shares" access to the dataset itself (saw you mention volume, but make sure the dataset permissions are correct too)? Have you tested by enabling guest account access on FreeNAS? Also no need to type NAS\username, just type the username.
I've never used the "Microsoft Account" setting before, so try without that.

DarthXavius

Cadet
EDIT: Nevermind... after my home theater PC sat for a few hours and I tried to connect to the server, it won't work again. Any more ideas? I'm still testing using the exact method described in the videos for setting up SMB shares and it keeps giving me an incorrect username or password error.

So yeah, I meant dataset when I was saying volume. I watched those videos you sent, @m0nkey_, thanks for the link. I have been reading the forums and google searching this for months and never came across those, probably because of the spam of newbies like me who cant get it to work. Anyway, I followed along with the guy making a brand new share and still did not work. I reset the system time on the BIOS for the server to match what I had on my clients. I then enabled guest access on a share to test that, and still nothing. I created a local microsoft account matching one of the user names and passwords, nothing there either. I left for about two hours, came back and disabled guest access, and tried again instinctively, not expecting it would work and BAM! it worked. I dunno what worked or why it worked in all the above steps, but something did. Thanks @m0nkey_ and @mikensan for your help, whatever it was I am still not sure...

Last edited:

DarthXavius

Cadet
It still doesn't work. I have been unable to replicate my success when I was able to access the shares that one time. I am going to reformat that PC, as I have tried 3 different laptops and another PC and they all work fine. If it is working after reformatting Windows 10, I'll mark this one off. Since every other client I try works, its gotta be that one.

VladTepes

Patron
Do you have a password set for the user? Mine didn't work with a 'blank' password but once I set a password it worked perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.