Access Denied to Cifs share.. Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJVege

Dabbler
Hey guys,

I'm dual booting my PC and am playing around with Windows 8. I had not touched anything on the freenas box yet and had left it all the same as was working with my win 7 boxes.

Now, the shares come up under "Network" in windows explorer. I click on the volume and it asks for a network username and password. No credentials I put in here work. I keep getting access denied. I even created a new user on my freenas box to make sure I knew the password, but no luck.

It asks me for a username and password, but if I only type them in, it uses the Win 8 PC as the domain (machine to find the user). ie. PCNAME\user

I've tried logging in with:

* Freenas\user
* Freenas.local\user

But still the same issue. Any idea as to how I login to this from windows 8? I don't remember having this issue in Win 7.

Thanks.

...DJVege...

DJVege

Dabbler
Tried disabling the Windows NIC and re-enabling, no go. Rebooted Freenas, still no go.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your problem is too vague to have an idea of what you are doing wrong. :(

My recommendation is to consult the manual(and there's a few youtube videos too) and try duplicating exactly what is in the manual. Once you have that working then you can start trying to figure out what you have wrong.

Fixing some problems(like yours) could be 1 of a ton of problems. Admin mistake, permissions errors, service not setup correctly, service not even running, etc.

DJVege

Dabbler
Ok. Sorry, I thought it might just be something simple related to Windows 8 and accessing network shares.

Here's more info.

I'm running FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950).

I have setup this Freenas box successfully a while ago and was accessing the CIFS network share just fine from a Windows 7 machine. I have just installed Windows 8 and can't access this same share from the Freenas box anymore. I keep getting Access Denied error. See attached image. My HTPC, Win7, can still access the share just fine.

My volume permissions are attached, as are my dataset permissions.

As guest is my owner and group owner for the share, i tried logging in with guest, but I keep getting access denied. I thought maybe I've forgotten my guest account pwd. So I created a new user "test", made its primary group "guest", but even using test's credentials I keep getting access denied.

Can you see what I'm doing, or have done, wrong? If I don't qualify the username with "Freenas" or "Freenas.local", it uses my Win8 PC name as the domain.

I also have "Allow Guest Access" and "Only Allow Guest Access" set in the CIFS network share. I thought this would mean no username/pwd was required... Again, i can't remember what I did to get it working in Windows 7.

Please let me know what extra info you need.

Thanks.

...DJVege...

Attachments

• accessdenied.jpg
    accessdenied.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 429
  • datasetPerms.jpg
    datasetPerms.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 463
  • VolumePerms.jpg
    VolumePerms.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 432

DJVege

Dabbler
Please disregard this entire thread. Don't ask me why, don't ask me how... I just set my volume in Freenas to "Scan recursively", to set the shares up again, also edited my "allow ip addresses to one line per ip address, and it is working now.

Not sure why it was working previously if this was the issue...but who cares! :)

Cheers for reading, and apologies for not enough info in the first post.

JaimieV

Guru
You might like to know that Windows 7 (and as you've seen 8 too) machines putting their own local machine as the domain part before the FreeNAS username is perfectly normal, if completely incomprehensible. I was boggled by that today, while setting up a new 8.3 for a friend. But it still works, and the Windows machine can save the username and password succesfully.

c4rp3d13m

Dabbler
I installed windows 8 last night and I got the same errors. But I remembered after 2 tries that I forgot to add the terminal to my domain/workgroup. :D

c4rp3d13m

Dabbler
Control Panel ---> System and Security

Click 'System --> See the name of this computer'

Under 'Computer name, domain, and workgroups settings' --- Click 'Change settings'

Under 'Computer Name' tab, Click 'Change...'

Type desired Workgroup name under 'Member of Domain/Workgroup'

Click OK

cyberjock

Inactive Account
WOW. If its that convoluted to use a file share with Win8 I'm SO glad I'll never be using it. Screw that.

Status
Not open for further replies.