SOLVED Will my possibily upgrade freenas?

vic1707

Dabbler
Hi,
I have the possibility to upgrade my actual FREENAS which is handle by a i3 2120 and 8Go of DDR3 (not ECC), to an old HP ProLiant DL585 G7 with Quad-Opteron 6272@2.10Ghz and 32Go DDR3 ECC.
I would like to know if FREENAS can use all of those CPUs and if this upgrade is a good idea (i know it's probably overkill). I would like to use my "new" FREENAS with some Windows and Linux VMs but most importantly (for me) is my PLEXmediaserver which can't actually handle too much streams with the i3 2120.

Thanks in advance!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you can handle the noise and power consumption, FreeNAS will use what you can give it.

You will probably not need all the cores you will have, but with some VMs, you can make use of them.

Transcoding with Plex should be fine also.

vic1707

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply, I think I can remove some CPUs if the server is too power consumptive?
Also I think even only one of those Opteron with 32Go of DDR3 ECC is better than my actual i3 2120 with 8Go DDR3 non-ECC, or I'm wrong?

sretalla